Jim Thomas's Reviews > One Fearful Yellow Eye: A Travis McGee Novel

One Fearful Yellow Eye by John D. MacDonald

M 50x66

bookshelves: read-2017

I had almost forgotten the real embodiment of masculinity, Travis McGee. Knight not in shining armor but beach bum attire, McGee is not really a detective but helps people in need if he feels right about the job. I say masculine because there have been two films I know of, the one in the 80s starred Sam Elliot and one made even earlier had Rod Taylor. Neither captured McGee's essence. This one is a highly complex story with a lot of threads that McGee eventually ties together. John D. MacDonald has written many other books other than the McGee series including his most famous which was made into a film twice. Anyone remember Cape Fear? Gregory Peck and Robert Mitchum in the oldest black and white version and Nick Nolte and Robert DeNiro in the newer version. I like both films. Both Peck and Mitchum were old but still kicking when the last film was made and it was cool to have them both show up in cameos. The name of the actual book the films are based on is The Executioners. John D. MacDonald is obviously strongly opinionated on many topics. So were both Raymond Chandler and Ross Macdonald yet they seem to have had the technique of a more subtle way with similies and beautiful metaphorical styling whereas John D. many times seems to preach to the reader. Nevertheless, an entertaining novel which is also fascinating in the way characters, especially women, are portrayed reminding the reader of how our attitudes and mores have changed over the years.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Fearful Yellow Eye.

July 13, 2017 – Shelved