Silver's Reviews > Pompeii

Pompeii by Robert   Harris

Sep 06, 2011

bookshelves: historical-fiction
Read from April 01 to 29, 2012

This is one of those books in which when I first started reading, I really was not sure about it, but the more I read of it the more it grew upon me, and the more it began to draw me in and captivate me. In spite of the fact that we all know what the eventual outcome is going to be, Harris was able to build up anticipation and create a great tension. I though he did a great job of using the physical environment and the atmosphere to further enhance the feeling of tension within the book. Everything slowly starts to mount up to the final climax that leaves you on the edge of your seat.

As I was reading this book one of the things of which I could not help but to wonder, was just where the author was going to go with the story. It most have been a challenge to create an engaging plot when going into the fate of all the characters is already sealed and we know that whatever happens, it is bond to end in death and destruction, but Harris was still able to make you care about the characters, and he did will in giving a glimpse into the politics at the same, along side with the impending doom of unpredictable forces of nature, which highlights man's arrogance and really brought to my mind the saying about best laid plans.

Harris also did a very good job at brining the city of Pompeii into vivid life and capturing the essence of it based upon what knowledge we do have of it. As well I found the factual information about volcanoes provided at the start of each chapter to be enjoyable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pompeii.