Jennifer Masterson's Reviews > Before We Were Yours

Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate

I absolutely loved this heartbreakingly beautiful piece of writing! I'd give this book 10 stars if I could! "Before We Were Yours" by Lisa Wingate grabbed me from the very beginning, tossed my emotions around like a salad, and never let go! I didn't want it to end.

I listened to the audio version! Both narrators deserve huge props for their performances! I actually think this novel was enhanced by the superb narration!

There are two storylines going on in this novel, one in 1939 and one is present day. They slowly unravel and come together. I thought the writing was wonderful and so were the characters in both storylines. As gut wrenching as this novel is I feel it is an important story that must be read!

There is a bit of chick lit to the part of this story taking place in modern day. I actually enjoyed the bit of romance in it, but I know some diehard historically fiction fans might not.

People are comparing this to "The Orphan Train". In my humble opinion it's a much better book.

Highly recommended!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Before We Were Yours.

July 12, 2017 – Shelved
July 12, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
August 6, 2017 – Started Reading
August 7, 2017 –
35.0% "I hate to jinx myself early on but I'm loving this! Both narrators are awesome! This is on the long side. Over 14 hours of audio."
August 8, 2017 –
60.0% "This is so freaking good! The chapters of this novel that take place in 1939 with the children are absolutely heartbreaking!"
August 10, 2017 –
80.0% "I was worried this was going to be like "The Orphan Train", which I liked but didn't love. Boy was I wrong! Personally, I think this is a much better novel! The audio is exquisite! I don't want it to end!"
August 11, 2017 –
August 11, 2017 – Shelved as: audio
August 11, 2017 – Shelved as: kleenex
August 11, 2017 – Shelved as: favorites
August 11, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 135 (135 new)

message 1: by Paul (new)

Paul Falk Enjoy the read Jennifer!

Debra I have heard a lot of good things about this book! I'm looking forward to your review!

Jennifer Masterson Paul wrote: "Enjoy the read Jennifer!"

Thank you so much, Paul! :)

message 4: by Jennifer (last edited Aug 07, 2017 01:19PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jennifer Masterson Debra wrote: "I have heard a lot of good things about this book! I'm looking forward to your review!"

Thank you so much, Debra! I'm about three hours in now and I can understand why many people are writing good things about this novel. I hope the rest of it is this good! :)

Julie Enjoy!!

Jennifer Masterson Julie wrote: "Enjoy!!"

Thank you so much, Julie! :)

message 7: by Holly (new)

Holly  B Yay! So happy to see 5 stars!!

Jennifer Masterson Thank you so much, Holly! I loved it!

Denise Great review!

message 10: by Melanie (new) - added it

Melanie Great review Jennifer! I added :)

message 11: by Kaceey (new)

Kaceey Great review Jennifer! Glad you enjoyed it!

message 13: by Paromjit (new)

Paromjit Great review Jennifer xx

message 14: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Lovely review, Jennifer! Sounds like one I need to try.

Angela M Jennifer, I wish we could give more stars sometimes too ! Glad you loved it . Great review!

message 16: by Deanna (new) - added it

Deanna Wonderful review, Jennifer!

Jennifer Masterson Denise wrote: "Great review!"

Thank you, Denise! :)

Jennifer Masterson Melanie wrote: "Great review Jennifer! I added :)"

Thank you so much, Melanie! I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the book! :)

Jennifer Masterson Kaceey wrote: "Great review Jennifer! Glad you enjoyed it!"

Thank you so much, Kaceey! :)

Jennifer Masterson Brenda wrote: "Fantastic review, Jennifer!"

Thank you so much, Brenda! :)

Jennifer Masterson Paromjit wrote: "Great review Jennifer xx"

Thank you so much, Paromjit! <3

Jennifer Masterson Melissa wrote: "Lovely review, Jennifer! Sounds like one I need to try."

Thank you so much, Melissa! I hope you get a chance to check it out. :)

Jennifer Masterson Angela M wrote: "Jennifer, I wish we could give more stars sometimes too ! Glad you loved it . Great review!"

Thank you so much, Angela! It was such a great book. I do wish there were times we could give books more stars! :)

Jennifer Masterson Deanna wrote: "Wonderful review, Jennifer!"

Thank you so much, Deanna! :) <3

message 25: by Frances (new)

Frances A great 5* review Jennifer; glad you enjoyed this one so much !! 😍 !

Jennifer Masterson Frances wrote: "A great 5* review Jennifer; glad you enjoyed this one so much !! 😍 !"

Thank you so much, Frances! 😍

message 27: by Dana (new) - added it

Dana Wonderful review! I'm adding it. Love that comparison to the tossed salad. :))

Jennifer Masterson Dana wrote: "Wonderful review! I'm adding it. Love that comparison to the tossed salad. :))"

Thank you so much, Dana! Can you tell I was hungry when I was writing the review! Lol! ;). I can't wait to hear what you think of this novel! :)

Karen So happy you loved it! Great review Jennifer!!

message 30: by Fran (new)

Fran Awesome review, Jennifer!

☮Karen I love your review. Will def do the audio too now!

message 32: by Iris P (new) - added it

Iris P Fantastic review Jennifer! You've certainly convinced me to add this one ☺

Susanne  Strong Fantastic review Jennifer! So glad you loved this too!! Nice job. :-). Such a powerful and truly thought provoking novel!

message 34: by Vanessa (new) - added it

Vanessa Superb review!!

PorshaJo Wonderful review Jennifer. So glad you loved this one so much. I'm patiently waiting for the audio

Jennifer Great review! I'm looking forward to reading this.

message 37: by Katie (new)

Katie Terrific review, Jennifer.

Jennifer Masterson Karen wrote: "So happy you loved it! Great review Jennifer!!"

Thank you so much, Karen! :)

Jennifer Masterson Fran wrote: "Awesome review, Jennifer!"

Thank you so much, Fran! :)

Jennifer Masterson ☮Karen wrote: "I love your review. Will def do the audio too now!"

Thank you so much, Karen! I can't wait for your thoughts on this book. :)

Jennifer Masterson Iris P wrote: "Fantastic review Jennifer! You've certainly convinced me to add this one ☺"

Thank you so much, Iris! I can't wait for your thoughts on the book! :)

Jennifer Masterson Susanne wrote: "Fantastic review Jennifer! So glad you loved this too!! Nice job. :-). Such a powerful and truly thought provoking novel!"

Thank you so much, Susanne! It truly is a thought provoking novel! :)

Jennifer Masterson Vanessa wrote: "Superb review!!"

Thank you so much, Vanessa! :)

Jennifer Masterson PorshaJo wrote: "Wonderful review Jennifer. So glad you loved this one so much. I'm patiently waiting for the audio"

Thank you so much, Jen! I'm so happy you are going to listen to the audio on this one. I hope you get a chance to check it out soon. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it! :)

Jennifer Masterson Jennifer wrote: "Great review! I'm looking forward to reading this."

Thank you so much, Jennifer! I can't wait to hear what you think of this one! :)

Jennifer Masterson Katie wrote: "Terrific review, Jennifer."

Thank you so much, Katie! :)

Jennifer Masterson Karin wrote: "What a great review Jennifer!"

Thank you so much, Karin! :)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Great review hon =)

message 49: by Esil (new)

Esil Lovely review, Jennifer. This sounds like a good one.

message 50: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Fantastic review Jennifer.

« previous 1 3