Sheila's Reviews > Endurance of the Free

Endurance of the Free by James Litherland

2039269
Jul 12, 2017

bookshelves: science-fiction, social-issues, action-adventure, spiritual

Third in the Miraibanashi trilogy, Endurance of the Free is smoother, faster reading than its predecessors, building confidently to its exciting conclusion. Themes are explored more deeply than in the other books as rebels seek to create something close to a perfect society. The balance between individual freedom and collective responsibility is nicely explored, in a world where collective responsibility has devolved into authoritarian control. As each step is programmed and planned, the rebels know their new world won't be “perfect—rules never could be—but the inherent authority to make decisions would belong to each individual…”

The spirituality behind rebellion is convincing too, low-key enough not to slow the story, but deep enough to give the narrative genuine meaning and direction. Japanese names and ideas blend very plausibly with Christian themes. And it's all set in a futuristic (but believable) world, where samurai skills are as important as talents with computers, and hope is hard, but not impossible to find.

The action is exciting. The arguments are intriguing. And the plot flows nicely forward, making this my favorite of the trilogy. With minimal but nicely sufficient backstory, it would be well worth reading on its own as well.

Disclosure: I was given a copy and I offer my honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Endurance of the Free.

Started Reading