Trisha's Reviews > War for the Oaks

Jun 17, 2007

bookshelves: favorites
Recommended for: everyone
Read 2 times

In my opinion, you really can't call yourself an Urban fantasy fan if you haven't read this book. This is one of, if not THE book that started it all.

There are fairies (but don't call them that if you know what's good for you) of every shape and size, lust, love, rock n' roll and a war between Seelie and Unseelie courts- what more could you want?

How about characters you care for almost instantly, magic that somehow makes sense even when it doesn't, and don't forget- the magic of music.

This is no cut and dry good vs. evil tale either, like all great urban fantasies it's a whole palette of shades of grey, although you do know who's side you come down on- it's not entirely ambivalent, like some of Caitlin R, Kiernan's work- but you definitely see the beauty in the darkness.

And woven through it all is an honest to goodness amazing love story.
So very highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read War for the Oaks.

message 1: by Inara (new)

Inara I think I´ll have to add this book to my already huge TBR-pile, it seems to be very interesting!

Jeffrey In my opinion this is the best urban fantasy out there. Emma Bull is a fine author and this novel put her on the map and also broke new ground in the urban fantasy arena.

So I heartily agree with your review