Godzilla's Reviews > Straight Outa Bristo

Straight Outa Bristo by Phil Johnson

Sep 06, 2011

bookshelves: 2011, everyone-s-a-critic, memoir, music, sub-cultures

I'm finding it hard to pigeon hole this book - it's certainly not definitive (being around 200 pages long) but has certainly shed soem interesting light on the whole "Bristol Sound".

The author puts some context around the city's history, and specifically the nature of subcultures within different districts. I felt as though I had a good general view of the city before we delved into the musical aspects of the book.

Different bands and artists are dealt with in separate chapters, but given the "incestuous" nature of the scene, names crop up again and again.

Daddy G is the only member of Massive Attack without an interview in here, and the insights given by difefrent members are really interesting. There's a fair bit of self deprecation, and a whole lot of bitterness swilling around.

There are shorter chapters on Tricky and Portishead, presumably due to the lack of direct interviews available.

The book puts the development of the sound into a social and political context, and i learnt a lot of interesting facts that I never knew.

This is really only a book for fans of the music, you aren't going to be converted, but you will be enlightened.

There's a brief discography at the back of the book and influential tracks are mentioned throughout.

Whilst this isn't definitive, it's written with a clear love of the people, the place and the music, but without putting them on a pedestal.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Straight Outa Bristo.

message 1: by Andrew (new)

Andrew That looks like a bit of me I have to say. Look forward to reading your review on it!

Godzilla Here's hoping it passes muster!