L.M. Pierce's Reviews > Dalí

Dalí by E.M. Hamill

** I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review **

I don’t like to oversell a book’s experience, I rarely do, but I loved loved LOVED Dali. I will refrain from spoilers, but try to give an overview of the many elements I’m absolutely smitten with.
The beginning jumps right in and initially I was geared up to dislike Dali, the main character, because of an opening fight scene that comes across as macho posturing and your usual heckling bar fight. This initial annoyance quickly dissipates as it is immediately established that Dali is far more complex than that. I love complex characters and Dali fits the bill perfectly. Flawed and sexy, Dali is grappling with some mega shit in the world—the horrific murder of husband, wife, and child (did I mention there’s plural marriage and changeling gender in this book?) leaves Dali with a well of grief impossible to wipe away. Add to that the political upheaval and violence being levied against changelings like Dali and you’ve got a hell of a story.

A lot happens in the first few chapters and the pace is fast and immersive, leaving little room for navel-gazing. Hamill manages to accomplish this while still fleshing out the characters and making us fall in love with them (the supporting cast is AMAZING) as well as clearly painting the villains for us to despise.

As a writer, there were many moments where I got the delightful “I love how Hamill wrote this part” warm buzz—the writing is excellent. The descriptions are beautiful, fluid, and the sex scenes took my breath away. The book opens with two steamy scenes in very quick sequence, but they’re not smutty by any stretch, which could be a plus or negative depending on your taste. They fit my personal bill perfectly and the changeling gender aspect tickled all my regions in just the right way.

There ARE some parts where things resolve a little too “tidy” and character interactions I found unrealistically smooth/“ok, I’m over it” kind of thing, but mostly minor. There are also a lot of earthly references, and though I LOVE Princess Bride references, some of the very specific fairy tale references pulled me out of the story a bit. Otherwise, the world building is top-notch, with attention paid to food, customs, and the different species which populate the novel. All of this is achieved without slowing down the pace and I never felt adrift or uncertain of the book’s progression.

Just read it. Seriously. An epic space adventure that hits the nail on the head and revived my interest in a genre I had grown tired of.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dalí.

July 11, 2017 – Started Reading
July 11, 2017 – Shelved
page 16
page 27
"UGH, so good! Goosebumps have happened already!"
page 37
"Welp, that was breath-taking. *fans self* I might need a cold shower."
August 31, 2017 –