Celise's Reviews > The Tower of Swallows

The Tower of Swallows by Andrzej Sapkowski

bookshelves: fantasy-adult, owned-read

Buddy read with Markus, who actually led me to discover this amazing series in the first place.

The previous book in The Witcher series was a little bit choppy, with each change in point of view requiring some adjustment. By comparison, The Tower of Swallows is like a river being fed by a bunch of little streams. All of the different characters' scenes flow easily together to tell the larger story, and as a reader it's so easy to be carried along the current while observing all of the terrible things that happen on the banks. Real life seems far off when you're sucked into something like that, and that's what I look for in a good book!

As for the plot, I won't bother to summarize. This is the 6th book in the series, so if you're already reading them you'll get to this one on your own. If you haven't read any of The Witcher series, I recommend reading The Last Wish, the short story anthology that begins everything. If you're more interested in jumping to the novels, here is my review for Blood of Elves.

If you're a Ciri fan and felt like she was sorely missed in Baptism of Fire, here's one for you! Her parts were ace. (view spoiler) Ciri begins this novel in the company of an interesting character named Vysogota, to whom she reveals the story of her recent encounters, and so reveals them to the reader. Vysogota himself, while not focused on too much, still has a big impact and his parts are so poetically written.

This installment in particular feels very high fantasy with how much it covered both geographically and story-wise.The imagery is also inspired and vividly described. The forests are wet and covered in colourful mushrooms, the caves are decorated with rose-coloured stalactites. Most of the fantasy I've read tends to get stuck with the good old green, brown and grey palette, but it's nice to change it up sometimes. I think it will be easy to remember the really good scenes from this book due to the fact that they all are described with such different and colourful visuals.

I think this one is probably my favourite book in the saga after The Time of Contempt.

And just a quick note to say I started the next book, Lady of the Lake and at about 5 pages in my mind was already blown.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tower of Swallows.

July 11, 2017 – Started Reading
July 11, 2017 – Shelved
July 11, 2017 –
page 80
18.22% "Yes yes yes yes. This is the kind of storytelling I felt was missing from the last one."
July 13, 2017 –
52.0% "This book has some seriously beautiful flow to it. It's so compelling and easy to read, with everything that's happened being so horrendous and fascinating."
July 23, 2017 –
83.0% "I was starting to think we'd see no Yennefer at all in this one!"
July 26, 2017 –
95.0% "Final stretch, but I'm not ready to let this one go yet. I'm also putting off the fact that there's only one book left after this :("
July 27, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

Thomas Stacey This is good to hear! Saving this for my holiday in September. If I can hold out that long...

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Great review hon =) You got to buddy read with the wonderful, Markus =) I hope to read more of these one day besides just that first one. And I still want a ps4 to play the game. lol =) xo ♥

Celise @Thomas As someone fearing the end coming too quickly, I'd say hold out. Make them last! But it's also really really good... When you do read it, let me know! Would love to discuss.

@Melissa Yeah! This is the second one we've read together, and we're about to do the next one as well. You and I still need to do our buddy read! I'll sort through my TBR once I'm done this next one and run some ideas by you! I still want a PS4 as well haha. My brother just got the game for his PC and I'm super jealous.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin I don't like your brother! =D

I have always wanted to read with Markus but we just never did all of those years ago. Lol, enjoy.

Yes, we will find something sometime. I'm trying to get all of my stuff I need to read this year for my badges in a group but maybe there is something somewhere. You let me know if your tbr is up to date. Mine is NOT. Still deleting crap that is on there. I'm trying to also take it easy on reading since I'm going through stuff right now. Just message me when your tbr is ready and I will peruse it. =D

message 5: by Celise (last edited Jul 27, 2017 05:06PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Celise Sounds good!