Janet's Reviews > Desperate Bride

Desperate Bride by A.S. Fenichel

An accomplished musician, Dorothea Flammel has refused many marriage proposals; her only true love is her music. Dory’s shimmering talent and beauty have long been adored from afar by Thomas Wheel, an untitled gentleman who can only dream of asking for the hand of an Earl’s daughter. Then when her father is deep in debt he arranges for Dory to marry the elderly lecherous Earl Hartly to solve his money problems, she runs to Thomas—and proposes marriage to him.
At first Tom refuses but when he sees Hartly ogling Dory he changes his mind & they elope to Scotland, but what is for her a mere marriage of convenience proves more passionate & far more complex than either imagined as rumours, scandal, and buried emotions come to light. Then a vengeful challenge from a drunken and embittered Lord Flammel in Whites puts Thomas’s life on the line.
I’ve loved this series & this novel lives up to the standard of the previous stories. It is the third in the series but could well be read as a stand alone book but if like me you love series then I’d recommend reading the series in order – you won’t be disappointed. Thomas is lovely, he’s so kind & caring & his letter to Dory had me welling up. Dory has suffered abuse all her life & so her self esteem is zero believing herself unable to love & unlovable. There are misunderstandings in abundance as well as eavesdropping that hurts one of them badly, it takes drastic measures by their friends to throw them together. There’s also Lord Hartly causing problems as well as Dory’s drunken father which all add to their woes. I thoroughly enjoyed the book, it was well written & the pace kept me engrossed. The characters had plenty of depth. At times I wanted to shake Tom & Dory but I think their friends felt the same! I look forward to reading more from the author

My honest review is for a special copy I voluntarily read

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Desperate Bride.

July 11, 2017 – Shelved