Jessie Young's Reviews > Euphoria

Euphoria by Lily King

liked it

I read this with my book club. I think it's interesting that this is based on the life of Margaret Mead. I found the love story to be annoying / predictable. Overall, didn't love it, but def want to learn more about Margaret Mead!

Highlights:

#####

But it was impossible not to be envious of other people’s people. Until you laid it all out neatly on the page, your own tribe looked a mess.

‘Everyone becomes a genius when they die young.

But I’ve always thought my opinion was the right one. It’s a small flaw I have.’

I feel like I got most of life’s lessons before I turned six. For me, other people are the point, but other people can disappear. I guess I don’t have to tell you that.’

I’m not sure I’ve seen such height & sensitivity paired before. Very tall men are so often naturally removed and distant

Perhaps all science is merely self-investigation.

And all the while I am aware of a larger despair, as if Helen & I are vessels for the despair of all women and many men too. Who are we and where are we going? Why are we, with all our “progress,” so limited in understanding & sympathy & the ability to give each other real freedom? Why with our emphasis on the individual are we still so blinded by the urge to conform?

Always in her mind there had been the belief that somewhere on earth there was a better way to live, and that she would find it.

They know their ancestors have a plan for them. There’s no sense that it was wrong. Tragedy is based on this sense that there’s been a terrible mistake, isn’t it?’

Alone was not something you saw among tribes she’d studied. From an early age children were warned against it. Alone was how your soul got stolen by spirits, or your body kidnapped by enemies. Alone was when your thinking turned to evil.

When only one person is the expert on a particular people, do we learn more about the people or the anthropologist when we read the analysis?

Why are there so many tribes who share everything—food, shelter, land, income—but their stories always revolve around someone’s brother or best friend stealing his woman?’

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Euphoria.

Started Reading