Jessie Young's Reviews > The Sleepwalker's Guide to Dancing

The Sleepwalker's Guide to Dancing by Mira Jacob

Someone recommended this book somewhere randomly...I wish I could remember where. I think the context was that they were discussing American novels with Indian protagonists. I really enjoyed this book and it made me cry (in addition to being about what it means to grow up as an Indian person in America, this book is also about dealing with major loss).

I give it 4 stars because I haven't found myself recommending it to many people, so I guess it wasn't *that* amazing.

Highlights:

#####

Her mother’s conviction that movies continue in some private offscreen world had always been as baffling as it was irrefutable.

Had he really turned into one of those men who thought asking the uncomfortable question proved something about his integrity?

wasn’t much of a conversation anyway, just some sort of weird shared understanding of how it was to always be outside of everything, even your own family, waiting to be seen.

his edicts were always promptly dismissed by the others, giving him the air of a king ruling the wrong kingdom.

“You never try to meet anyone because you think that something is wrong with you,”

this was the feeling that always arose when she left, an unmet urgency, as though she hadn’t really done whatever it was she was supposed to do to make home feel like home again.

Is their need to dominate so much stronger than their instinct to protect?

At the funeral, Amina kept her eyes closed for fear of seeing any one image that would stick too deeply inside, turning the day into something real.

As it turned out, it was not Akhil whom she missed in those first weeks so much as her family, or the family they had been before.

Amina realize suddenly how much she missed her mother. She missed Kamala banging the cupboards in the kitchen. She missed her shouting “Hey, dummies! Rise and shines!” from the bottom of the stairs in the morning. She missed her saying “Oh, really?” when Queen Victoria burped too loudly, like they were having an actual conversation, and how sometimes she would come up and squeeze Amina’s shoulder out of the blue, which used to feel like a poor excuse for a hug but now, in memory, felt like sitting in front of a blazing fire with a world of snow falling outside.

Sanji, her parents from this point on would need her to be more than she had ever been, and along with their need would come her inability to fill it.

if those first days were hard because remembering things about him hurt, these days, the days of forgetting things about him, actually hurt worse.

sometimes a surprise was just the acknowledgment of something you had tried hard to ignore.

At first, it had been strange to see everyone sitting at the same table—like watching a play where she knew too much about all the actors to believe anything they said.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sleepwalker's Guide to Dancing.

Started Reading