Erin Penn's Reviews > His Sapphire

His Sapphire by Maggie Chase

Jul 11, 2017

A BDSM historical western, which is well-written. The author does an EXTREMELY good job throughout the Jeweled Ladies series of setting up all the characters of the town and carrying the developments forward in each book, while also covering different types of erotica romances (FF, MMF, MF, BDSM, etc). I've read two books of the series and she manages to touch on all the characters and you see them continue to develop after their story is over - only a scene or two, but enough for a quick visit with old friends.

His Sapphire has the standard explanation of the rules of BDSM, an amazingly complex character development for Judge Hobson, and an unexpectedly engrossing (for an erotica) murder mystery. I read Their Emerald and was impressed with Ms. Chase's writing abilities. When I saw Judge Hobson was a ROMANTIC LEAD in another book, I could not believe it and wondered how it could possible be handled. I had to buy His Sapphire.

Yeah, baby. It was handled with the crack of a switch and the cooling comfort of aftercare.

I have an innate issue with submissives and Dominates, so identifying with the characters was through the glass wall of my Pygmalion need to "fix" them - holding back a portion of my immersion into the book. Even so, I have never seen a better explanation of what might drive someone to use S&M to control needs than this book's character development of the Judge. And I've never seen just how in control submissives are of a situation than Sapphire Bleu's initial training sessions with Your Honor.

Ms. Chase has created an amazing cast of character for her Jeweled Ladies' series - each with different needs and wants. Each talk differently and have different goals. And - this is extremely rare - some of those goals are at cross-purposes! Usually everyone in a series are all good, likeable people in a circle of friends with similar goals. This series is set in the wild west with politicians, and freed slaves, with ladies of the night, and ancient feuds. One of the most amazing erotica series I have ever read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read His Sapphire.