Thomas's Reviews > Little Monsters

Little Monsters by Kara Thomas

2018505

liked it
bookshelves: realistic-fiction, young-adult, thriller

An entertaining thriller about three teenage girls and their twisty, dangerous friendship. Our narrator, Kacey, enters the secluded town of Broken Falls as the lonely, mysterious new girl. She befriends Jade and Bailey, two tight buddies who let Kacey into their circle and invite her to everything. However, one night, Bailey goes missing after a party, and Kacey finds herself stuck in a web of lies, drama, and scandal surrounding Bailey's disappearance. Soon, Kacey learns her mistake in trusting the people around her - including the people she had called her closest supporters.

The plot of Little Monsters amused me and scared me and the book's writing came across as clear. While I liked how Kara Thomas explored Kacey's relationships, I found little depth in her characters. Their motivations for their actions often felt forced or shallow. The main driving force of conflict (view spoiler) played into stereotypes about teenage girls being boy-obsessed and maniacal, as further described in the first point of this feminist article. Thomas put a lot of work into making the plot of Little Monsters work, but I wish we had seen more complexity in the book's characters as well, to make them seem more human than monster.

Overall, an okay book I would recommend tot hose who want a pretty easy thriller. I still prefer the work of Courtney Summers, including her novels Cracked Up to Be and Some Girls are . I hope Thomas can deliver with her next book, and I am glad that others enjoy this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little Monsters.

July 11, 2017 – Shelved
September 8, 2017 – Started Reading
September 15, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Kelli (new)

Kelli I’m never going to read a book you rate 3 stars. You always do well explaining your ratings.