SueKich's Reviews > Their Finest Hour and a Half

Their Finest Hour and a Half by Lissa Evans

it was ok

War, war - but bore, bore.

Set in 1940, this is the story of two women caught up in their contributions to the war effort. One is Catrin, an ad agency copywriter with a gift for dialogue, who gets conscripted into the world of propaganda films. The other, Edith, works at Madame Tussauds, gets caught up in the bombing and becomes involved with the production of the film around which the story revolves.

This is a bright and breezy read which failed to engage me quite as much as I’d hoped. It is rather over-endowed with stereotypes (Ambrose the Actor being a case in point) and obvious plot developments, and I’m afraid I grew increasingly bored.

I came to a juddering halt when the ever-whinging Ambrose the Actor is invited over to his (Jewish) agent’s home for a meal, specifically for “lockshen” (a vermicelli-like pasta that goes into soup or puddings). This is like being invited over for an ingredient. And it was at this point that I began to doubt the authenticity of a book that has now been gently removed to the back burner.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Their Finest Hour and a Half.

July 11, 2017 – Started Reading