Lauren's Reviews > The Bell Tolls

The Bell Tolls by R. Franklin James

Jul 11, 2017

I've been in pursuit of mystery books lately so when I was asked to me part of the blog tour for the Bell Tolls, the fifth book in a Hollis Morgan Mystery series, I jumped at the chance. As it turned out, The Bell Tolls was the perfect next stop on my hunt for a great mystery book. Containing mystery, suspense, and intrigue, The Bell Tolls was a book I easily devoured in one sitting.

The Bell Tolls introduces Hollis Morgan, a probate attorney who hasn't had the easiest past, and from the first page I liked her. She was relatable as well as fierce and determined. I loved that she always went the extra step for her cases and clients, even when it meant putting herself on the line. Her interactions with her clients, especially with Kiki Turner, were some of my favorite parts of the book. I felt like they brought a more compassionate side to Hollis, something that she didn't always want to show the world. Her relationship with her family also brought an interesting dynamic to the book. I couldn't believe how cold and aloof her family was with her (I'm curious to go back to the previous books and see how it all started!). There was so many times I personally wanted to yell at them, her sister especially, and be like "Hollis is doing the best she can."

The mystery in The Bell Tolls constantly had me guessing and plotting my own theories regarding the Bell Tolls case. Matthias Bell was an interesting guy to say the least - cold as well as cutting - and while I'm glad I'll never have to deal with him, it was interesting to see his blackmail scam come apart. Every case brought an interesting little twist and mystery of its own to the book. Each time one of them was introduced, I internally started debating their level of motive and the ability they had to do the "deed." By the time the bad guy was reveled, I somewhat had an idea it was him but at the same time I was still surprised by how it was all carried out! As mentioned above, I also liked Kiki Turner's case. It added a different type of element to the book, and even though it wasn't a mystery per say, I was constantly wondering what would happen between Kiki and her daughter. It was incredibly sad to say the least. Lastly, the side-plot with her husband caught me completely off guard, but that last little line? Oh my gosh, my heart was beating out of my chest - I was shocked!

In all, The Bell Tolls by R. Franklin James is a perfect lazy day read. I'm now excited to go back and read the previous Hollis Morgan Mysteries. I just need to know how it all began!

Grade: B+

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bell Tolls.

July 11, 2017 – Started Reading