Sonia Almeida Dias's Reviews > Madonna in a Fur Coat

Madonna in a Fur Coat by Sabahattin Ali

bookshelves: netgalley

Thanks to Netgalley I was given the opportunity to read and review this beautiful book, written in Turkey in 1941 and translated now to English.

What can I say about Raif Efendi's story that doesn't sound lame and can actually do justice to the strength of his love and his commitment to the woman he loved for a few months, for the rest of his life? This was a story that resonated deeply inside me, because at many levels I related to this shy and introvert man, full of deep thoughts and a rich inner life that he struggled to reveal to the outer world.

All of his life people misunderstood him and sold him short, just because he retreated inside his head and was unable to communicate in a strong way. However, he had a rich past, full of hopes and dreams, that he had shared with no one, and that at some point in his life were a promise for a life that could have turned out quite different.

Beautiful and sad, this book that was written in Turkey in 1941 could actually have been written today, anywhere in the world, and it's a rare gem.

Recommended to everyone who has ever loved, or will ever love.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Madonna in a Fur Coat.

July 11, 2017 – Started Reading