Helen's Reviews > The Three-Body Problem

The Three-Body Problem by Liu Cixin

bookshelves: diversity, favourites, cover-love, reviewed, sci-fi, competent-female-characters

Absolutely loved everything about this, but I don't want to give too much away about the story. It's unusual and half the fun of the book for me was watching the events unfold and start to make sense as Wang Miao investigates the mystery of why the scientists are committing suicide.

I loved that it's a proper hard sci-fi book, very science heavy. A lot of it I could follow, some of it I couldn't but I just enjoyed going along for the ride. There are some very interesting, original ideas with a massive scope and although I was a bit lost at first it all come together into a very entertaining story.

One of my favourite things about the book is how there are female scientists, even back in the 70s, and it's not an issue, it's just normal. I don't know if that's how things are in China, or if it's down to how the author wrote it, but it was lovely to read women being able to get on with the science without having to explain it.

The translator has done a brilliant job. There are a few footnotes, especially in the chapters set in the past during the Cultural Revolution. They were helpful and not excessive, and there weren't as many of them once the story got going.

I'm giving it five stars simply because I enjoyed it so much. It has everything I like in a sci-fi book, and I recommend to anyone who likes writers like Isaac Asimov, who enjoyed The Martian, or who likes thought-provoking sci-fi with massive ideas.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Three-Body Problem.

July 11, 2017 – Started Reading