Annalese's Reviews > Green: The Beginning and the End

Sep 05, 2011

did not like it
Recommended for: Nobody
I own a copy

I couldn't make it past the first few chapters. For a book that is supposed to complete/begin a "circle", the writing style (compared to the other 3 books) stuck out like a sore thumb. It didn't flow with the previous books at all. His writing has lost the magical quality and grown more reliant on the only non-stock/unrecycled character personas he has--Thomas Hunter, Marsuvees Black, and Billy. After sticking through the original Circle trilogy, the Lost Books series, Showdown...all those books, I've completely lost interest. When it was just Red, White and Black, it was genius. Add Showdown, and it's brilliant. But turn it YA with (what was it, 6?) more increasingly predictable books, and you've got overkill. The release, and subsequent failure of Green was the final nail in the coffin for me.

I would not recommend this book to anybody. It was the worst written Dekker book I've ever read. It was dry, almost as if...well, exactly as if he had been contractually obligated to write a certain number of books each year. At the time of the publishing of Green, he was. Shocker. The characters were the blandest I've ever seen them, out of any of his books. It's certainly not my cup of tea.

On a positive note, the cover was cool. His earliest books were fantastic--this newer crap, I happily live without looking past the cover. I've been to two of his "Gathering" conferences and own many of his books, and still I wouldn't dare be anything but completely honest in this review. Dive deep.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Green.

Matt Although I did like this book, I agree with much of your analysis. I think it is hard for me to not like Green because I had already invested so much time (12 books) into these characters and this world.