Liza's Reviews > Fury

Fury by Elizabeth  Miles

Sep 05, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: classroom-library, young-adult, young-adult-fantasy, young-adult-paranormal-romance
Read from October 02 to 23, 2011 — I own a copy

I found the main protagonist, Em, to be annoying and unlikable. Once I read past 3/4 of the novel I felt the suspense and delirium that other readers raved about. I think the falling action and the resolution was what saved this book as I could not become emotionally invested in what is essentially a selfish character.

Chase was a far more interesting character, but his obsession with Ty became tiresome. However, it all makes sense in the end. His relationship with Ty and the consequences of his involvement was more shocking and heart wrenching than Em's idiotic problems that she brought on herself.

There are furies in this story. They are rather creepy for a young adult novel, but the mood never crossed the homicidal/terror line. I don't understand how other reviewers compare this novel to horror books. I didn't find anything particularly terrifying. Fury was semi suspenseful, but not frightening.

I'm hoping that the second and third book will reveal more about Drea and Zach and what Em will be forced to deal with next.

I felt bad for Chase, Drea, and JD and not the one girl that Elizabeth Miles wanted you to root for all along-Em. This is what essentially weakens her novel, because had the focus been on Chase this would have been a far different novel with a protagonist more readers could sympathize with.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fury.

10/02/2011 page 17