Rebecca Jo's Reviews > Dumplin'

Dumplin' by Julie   Murphy

I just adored this book.
Maybe because I feel like Willowdean could be when I was a teenager.
A girl that is the 'heavier' girl in school, the one with the cute friend, the one who is insecure but still has some sass to her... & of course, a girl that loves Dolly Parton.
I honestly need this to be a movie - & FAST.
I loved that even at my age, it was great to see a group of girls stand up for what they believe in & take a risk, creating new friendships & seeing that believing & loving yourself is what matters. A universal message for any age.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dumplin'.

Quotes Rebecca Jo Liked

Julie   Murphy
“I think maybe it’s the things we don’t want to talk about that are the things people most want to hear.”

Julie   Murphy
“I guess sometimes the perfection we perceive in others is made up of a whole bunch of tiny imperfections, because some days the damn dress just won't zip.”

Julie   Murphy
“There’s something about swimsuits that make you think you’ve got to earn the right to wear them. And that’s wrong. Really, the criteria is simple. Do you have a body? Put a swimsuit on it.”

Julie   Murphy
“All my life I’ve had a body worth commenting on and if living in my skin has taught me anything it’s that if it’s not your body, it’s not yours to comment on.”

Julie   Murphy
“Perfection is nothing more than a phantom shadow we’re all chasing”

Julie   Murphy
“There's some kind of peace that comes with knowing that for every person who is waiting to be found, there's someone out there searching.”

Julie   Murphy
“I may be uncomfortable, but I refuse to be ashamed”

Julie   Murphy
“Find out who you are and do it on purpose. —Dolly Parton”

Julie   Murphy
“Beautiful, he says. Fat, I think. But can’t I be both at the same time? I”

Julie   Murphy
“I think you gotta be who you want to be until you feel like you are whoever it is you're trying to become. Sometimes half of doing something is pretending that you can.”
Julie Murphy, Dumplin'

December 30, 2016 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
December 30, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read (Kindle Edition)
July 10, 2017 – Started Reading
page 175
July 14, 2017 –
page 200
July 23, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Alexandra Consolver yay! I'm so glad that you loved this! I think they *are* making it into a movie!! :) This still remains as one of my favorites from the past few years! :)

message 2: by Rebecca Jo (new) - added it

Rebecca Jo I so cant wait to see it come to the big screen... & who they put as characters. & I PRAY Dolly is in it somehow ;)

Alexandra Consolver Rebecca Jo wrote: "I so cant wait to see it come to the big screen... & who they put as characters. & I PRAY Dolly is in it somehow ;)"

hadn't thought of Dolly being in it... wouldn't that be fabulous?!?!?