Kristi's Reviews > A Song of Home: A Novel of the Swing Era

A Song of Home by Susie Finkbeiner

bookshelves: 2017

There are just a few characters in literature that have a defined "voice" in my head whenever I read them. Other characters may have one as I read their stories, but a few have that same voice, no matter what. They are so clear, they're almost audible: Jo March, Professor Albus Dumbledore, Anne Shirley, Atticus Finch, Aslan -- and Pearl Spence.

Young Miss Spence is a girl after my own heart. She's imaginative, loves to read, and just the tiniest bit precocious. She processes the events around her in a way that I can recognize, because I am often the same way.

With 'A Song of Home,' the final book in this series, Ms. Finkbeiner has finished telling Pearl's story in a lovely, almost satisfying way. (I say "almost," because I'm going to hold out hope that we may see more of Pearl in the future, when she's a bit older.)

I'll be honest -- there are some characters in these books that I'm not sure I like a whole lot. It's not because they're not written well, or even that they're unbelievable. They're actually very believable, and that's why I'm not sure about them. They make questionable decisions, treat others in not-so-nice ways, or are just generally ornery -- like real people. And that's part of the reason I enjoy this series so much.

Yes, there are books that I read specifically for the escape they provide through their "unrealisticness." (I'm going to pretend that's a real word.) But Pearl's story is real. It's not always easy to read (subject matter-wise, that is), but it's real.

I would highly recommend this book (along with the first two in the series, 'A Cup of Dust' and 'A Trail of Crumbs') to just about anyone. Pearl's story is one I will return to, more than once, because it will feel just like coming home.

(I received a copy of this book from the publisher for an unbiased review. I would have gladly paid for it.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Song of Home.

July 10, 2017 – Shelved