bookishly_sweety's Reviews > Song of the Current

Song of the Current by Sarah Tolcser

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy

Ever since I read ‘Daughter of the Pirate King, I seemed to develop a love for pirates and sea monsters and mermaids. So I had high hopes when I started reading this book, which is first of the series that is to come. I received this book as part of a book box so I didn’t read the blurb beforehand.

The day your fate comes for you, you’ll know….

The book follows the story of Caroline Oresteia who is from the riverlands and isn’t favored by the river God yet and is forever waiting for a small sign from her God to captain her own wherry. The story is about the adventures of Caroline where she is supposed to take the journey of her life time for delivering something important which would otherwise negatively impact her father’s life.

Caro and Tarquin

The book gives the sort of feeling that Caro is spirited and strong and brave, which she is. And the male love interest of the book, Tarquin, is exactly the male version of damsel in distress and that sort of thing really annoyed me. I mean, he is a prince after all! There was zero chemistry between the two and the budding romance felt like too much effort. Also can I say one more time how I HATE that tomboyish girls when MADE to wear a skirt or dress look absolutely beautiful to the guys! A girl is beautiful in every way!!

World Building

Did y’all see the map at the beginning of the book? There isn’t a book map which was as difficult as this, atleast for me. The river and lands were hard to distinguish :P There was too much sailor and sea jargon which I knew nothing of, and which became the main reasons for me losing interest in the book. I mean c’mon how many times do I have to google the different terms used. It was difficult, period!

This is supposed to be a fantasy, so cue the dragons and shadowmen. It was a little hard to keep up with the other characters – Nereus, the wherry folk, Caro’s mother’s family and the supposedly villainous pirate gangs. A lot of sub-plots started and left in midway cause you need some to fill in the next books.

Like I said this book is supposed to be a series, and I’m not sure whether I will be getting the next one, That’s for the blurb to entice me into buying it.

If you love reading about female badass characters and their adventures, you will love this book.

I give 3 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Song of the Current.

July 10, 2017 – Shelved