Jennifer's Reviews > Dirty Girls on Top

Dirty Girls on Top by Alisa Valdes

Sep 05, 2011

bookshelves: arc, lt-early-reviewer, swapped
Read in June, 2008

I read the Dirty Girls Social Club back when it first came out, and loved it. Even though I am not Latina, I still felt I could relate to the characters. Now, with the sequel, I still feel the same way.[return[returnI love how each character has her own voice. The author switches so easily between voices and tone for each character, that you almost feel like each woman is talking directly to you. And, the problems and situations these women face, while sometimes extrordinary, are also down-to-earth and I could see facets of my own life experiences in each of them.[return[returnThe only thing that bothered me was the liberal use of Spanish throughout. I know what the author was trying to accomplish, and most of the time I could figure out meanings from context, but there were some instances where I had NO clue what the Spanish words meant, which was a bit frustrating.[return[returnAnd like the other reviewers said, this book is racy! Right from the first few pages there's sex and foul language. That didn't bother me at all, but if you are a sensitive reader, be warned.[return[returnOverall, a great book! I laughed out loud, I was sad, I was happy, I was shocked. This book has it all. Engaging plot that kept me up reading way past when I should have turned out the light. :) I would highly recommend this book to any woman, Latina or not.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dirty Girls on Top.