Allison's Reviews > The Taker

The Taker by Alma Katsu

Sep 05, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: unfinished

I received this book for free through Goodreads first reads, and I was excited to dig in. I only got a few chapters in and lost interest, though. I quickly grew tired of Lanny's obsession with Jonathan, a weak and spineless individual not worth such devotion. Apparently there are some twisted sex scenes later on that you have to wade through to keep up with the story--not worth it for a mediocre read to begin with.

****

I keep coming back to my review of this book, perhaps because I rarely give one star and since I work with authors, I feel a measure of guilt for doing so. But each time I reevaluate, I feel the same way. The present-tense narration frustrated me so much right from the beginning that perhaps that affected my opinion toward the book. This is a difficult style in which to write, appropriate only for specific stories and writers, in my opinion. And I just grew bored with the stock village and characters. Perhaps they were written so to offset the present-day storyline, but in light of other elements I did not enjoy, it wasn't worth finishing for me. I'm in the minority it appears, but so it stands.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Taker.

Heather *live on coffee and flowers* Weak and spineless, definitely. I would like to add "idiot."

Allison Agreed. I have NO patience for women who bind themselves, emotionally or physically, to worthless men!

message 3: by Gail (new) - rated it 1 star

Gail Agree with all the comments here.

Allison Gail wrote: "Agree with all the comments here."

When so many people like a book, you wonder if you're missing something, but I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one who had issues with this one.

message 5: by Angela (new) - added it

Angela I also disliked this book. I stuck it out hoping that I would get to whatever parts everyone seemed to love. But my distaste for it was so great that when I got to the part they are in the hotel smoking weed I just gave up and said "to hell with it". Don't know why, but that was the last straw for me. It didn't fit with they story and I couldn't waste any more o time with it.