Jeanette's Reviews > Planet Woman

Planet Woman by Judith Rook

bookshelves: new-adult-18-25, science-fiction, fiction

Planet Woman by Judith Rook is a sci-fiction romance with an intriguing premise - a sentient planet in harmony with her human population.

When the watchers of planet Circe detect a malignant presence approaching, Circe requests an envoy from the more formal and conflicted First Home. Circean Tethyn Claibrook-Merjolaine is immersed in her work as a locator and has no time for the commanding and arrogant Lewis Ardien of the High Forest in First Home, yet protocol conspires to throw them together, and soon their lives and fates are entangled as they face a threat from the skies.

Rook conjures up a strange, fascinating world in which planets can have sentience and work symbiotically with their human population. The sentient planet, Circe, detects a coming danger and begins to reach out to other human population in space in preparation. The First Homers - Envoy Lewis and his retinue are amazed at the wonders of planet and its more relaxed and egalitarian society, while Tethyn, her friend Rayanna and brother Borto, approach the more rigid mores of the First Homers and their technology and militaristic ways with different degrees of fascination and horror. This is a story of clash of cultures, of threat due rival houses, but ultimately a regency-like romance between Tethyn and Lewis.

It took me a while to get into the story, though I enjoyed it once Lewis began to mellow a bit (less dominant and commanding), the fascination interaction with Circe came into play, and the action heated up with threat of abduction and danger, building up to an confrontation between Lewis and his enemies. All thrilling stuff - though I was disappointed that the heroine - a strong, independent woman - fainted at the height of the action. And I wished I had a map of the sun-system and the relative distances and positions of the four or more planets mentioned (three of which are sentient) and how that works with the Goldilocks zone (or are they in different sun-systems?)

Overall, I enjoyed Planet Woman and the first couple of chapters of the sequel A Man of Two Planets were intriguing as it, I assume, it tells Borto's story and a development of the threat foreshadowed at the beginning of Planet Woman

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Planet Woman.

July 9, 2017 – Started Reading