Shantala (Shanaya Tales)'s Reviews > Fairest

Fairest by Marissa Meyer

bookshelves: 2017, fantasy, favorites, fiction, futuristic-fiction, must-re-read, sci-fi, strong-female-protagonists, teens, thriller, young-adult, audiobook, 2019
Read 2 times. Last read December 17, 2019 to December 26, 2019.

Mirror, mirror, on the wall - who is the Fairest of them all?

Fairest, the bridge book between Cress (book #3) & Winter (book #4), shares Queen Levana's story, and can in many ways be considered as a prequel book to this series. Because the events in Fairest take place much before the events in Cinder (book #1 of the series).

But that is not to say you should read Fairest before any of the books in the series. Not at all. Cinder is meant to be the introductory book to this series and world, and it's best to start there, and read Fairest between Cress & Winter.

That being said, after reading Cress, I really really wanted to go straight to Winter. Because (at the end of book #3), I was right in the middle of the action, and was super curious to find out what happens next, and how the series wraps up.

I especially did not want to read Fairest then because it was just the backstory. That too 222 pages of backstory. Not to mention it was the psycho villian queen's backstory. So many reasons to not read this.

And yet, I did read it after Cress, and would recommend everyone to read it here. Because there is one very good reason to read this right before you read the final book.

And it's that this story will give you important as well as interesting insight on Luna - from the people to the politics, all of which is great to know, especially considering that Winter is the first book in the series that pretty much takes place entirely on the Moon. So you see..

Plus I've to say that the psycho villian's backstory was pretty interesting, even though by the end of it, I was super conflicted, as I did not know whether I should continue hating Levana, or feel bad for her, or just really shake the stupid cruelty out of her!

But then I did not have to struggle with this for long, because my new conundrum lasted only until the first few chapters of Winter, as by then I was firmly back to hating her. So there!

- Shantala @ Shanaya Tales

Blog | Facebook | Bookish Tweeting | My Bookstagram | Bookish Pinning
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fairest.

July 9, 2017 – Started Reading