Kumar Anshul's Reviews > Who Me, Poor?

Who Me, Poor? by Gayatri Jayaraman

Jul 09, 2017

As Indians, we often relate 'poverty' to rural and bucolic. The moment we encounter the word 'poverty', images of emaciated poor people living in mud houses in unhygienic surroundings envelop our mind.

"Who me, Poor?" by Gayatri Jayaraman captures something we all know about, still feel awkward and uneasy to discuss even if it's happening to us or our closed ones- Urban Poverty. The book has multiple first person anecdotes, 'struggler' stories and case studies of urban people who are cutting on their food, living standards and health just for the hope of making it big someday. All anecdotes are followed by a thorough analysis by the author on the reasons behind this phenomenon- what drives the millennials to succumb to pressure and live life on debts, loans and credits. The role played by evolution of cashless economy, corporate work culture, expensive degrees, overemphasis on 'networking', in the exacerbation of this menace has also been clearly analyzed.

The book discusses a much less talked about but an inescapable menace that is making its headway (infact, has already made) in Indian urban fabric. The author has done a commendable job in putting together relevant anecdotes and case studies, though the analysis part has turned out to be a bit complex. A few sentences might seem unnecessarily intertwined, thus undermining the sole purpose that the book is supposed to deliver- acquainting the reader about the phenomenon of Urban Poverty in India and its various manifestations.

All in all, the book is an impressive and well-researched work and I look forward to read more from the author in future.

Buy yourself a copy from Amazon here- http://amzn.to/2sE7ThI
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Who Me, Poor?.

July 7, 2017 – Started Reading
July 9, 2017 – Shelved
July 10, 2017 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Rohit (new) - added it

Rohit You mean Poor Decisions right? This book could be useful for many of the wrong decisions that many people make around the world whether it's within the urban side or rural side - useful as a reference book for Psychology of Business Decisions which comes under Marketing or any other Business subject or even Art subjects via Psychology - shows many of the wrong decisions 1 has taken though the reasons are related to the Fallacies and Biases under Psychology