Jacqie's Reviews > The Mists of Avalon

The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley

Sep 05, 2011

I recently reread this one for a book club. I've read it countless times in the past, but it's probably been a good eight years or so since the last time.

I am shamelessly partial to this book. I read it the first time when I was a teenager, and its themes of female empowerment and its examination of the purpose of spirituality were just what I needed. I still marvel at the way that Bradley takes her characters and has them care about each other, despite their flaws and differing ideologies. Maybe the feminist viewpoint isn't as groundbreaking twenty-five years later. Maybe the book is a bit long- I had forgotten just how much of a beast it is to read.

But I still love it. I don't really mind the length because I love this time period, this interpretation, and being inside the lives of these characters. For once, with me, it's the journey, not the destination.

So I'm not the one to ask if you're wondering if you'll like the book. I love it for all its magic and flaws, and that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mists of Avalon.

Started Reading