Rusty's Reviews > Blood is Red

Blood is Red by Scott Sigler

Sep 05, 2011

bookshelves: prose, science-fiction

Well, Scott Sigler is one of my favorite authors and this collection of short stories fits right along with his longer fiction as a kick ass read. He's made a name for himself with his hard science fiction monster stories, a niche that really needed to be filled.

This collection in particular shows a little bit of a departure for him, toying with pure science fiction, fantasy, and and all the stories are pretty good. My favorite was the very last one, which ironically, is a full on urban fantasy about some monster hunters from Hickville U.S.A. Fantastic all the way around.

But, short stories are not my first love, and while I loved this collection - it just didn't stick with me after reading very long once I finished, and I don't think this is as powerful of some of his better works.

Still, highly recommended. Especially if you sit around and wonder what it would be like if Author C Clarke ever collaborated with Stephen King.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood is Red.

September 5, 2011 – Started Reading
September 5, 2011 – Shelved
September 5, 2011 –
25.0% "Scott's writing style runs right up my alley so I've been loving this collection of short stories so far."
September 7, 2011 –
September 14, 2011 –
66.0% "Satan worshiping football players... can't think of a better premise for a short story."
September 15, 2011 –
82.0% "Ooh. A teaser for a sequel to Earthcore! What a surprise."
September 18, 2011 – Finished Reading