C.G. Drews's Reviews > Autoboyography

Autoboyography by Christina Lauren

bookshelves: 5-star, best-of-2017, contemporary, read-2017, young-adult, ya-male-narrators, reread, read-2018, audio-books
Read 2 times. Last read August 2, 2018 to August 7, 2018.

READ #2: August 2018
I forgot how much this book freaking means to me. I'm crYING okay. I think this book will forever take up space in my heart and I'm so so glad it exists. My love for it is so personal and relatable and rereading made me genuinely tear up (shout out @ me who is generally a stoic vulcan tbh) and have my heartbreak and heal at once.

I can't even.

This is definitely in my top 10 books of all time.

(Also I did the audiobook this time and it was EXCEPTIONAL! The narrator was so so good. Plus at the end there was this epic interview with both the authors and it gave so much insight to just how #ownvoices this is and how much love and research they put in...and how passionate they are about this getting to teens who need it most. LOVE LOVE LOVE.)

READ #1, October 2017

I HAVE SO MANY EMOTIONS RIGHT NOW AND I FREAKING TEARED UP. Who am I. I am not a tearer. Look I honestly found this book really...hard to read at times. It's beautiful and it's honest and it's about love is love, no matter who you are or who you love. But it's set really heavily against a backdrop of religion and that's HARD. So it was hard to read, I felt, and I honestly absolutely ache right now. BUT AT THE SAME TIME THIS BOOK ---> AN ABSOLUTE TREASURE AND I LOVE IT. I'm...I'm a mess omg. pls. Just go.

Just kidding don't go. I HAVE WORDS TO TALK.

+ Ok holy HECK can I just say these two boys are precious.
Tanner's narration was AMAZING and I'm like 89% sure the first 90% of this book is what he's writing as his book for his school class? But anyway. I can't get over how emotional, complex, and dimensional these characters are. The writing is A+ the entire time. I adored Tanner! He's emotional and impulsive and absolutely full of heart! And Sebastian is the sweetest most perfect pure cinnamon. He is, literally, PERFECT. And this makes him very flawed...ya. Go figure that out. But it's true. I ship them so much I climbed a wall and ate it. I am just saying.

+ So one of the coolest things is: they're both writers!
The premise of the book is basically: Tanner is writing a book for his school class and Sebastian is a highschool graduate come back to help mentor the students. IT'S ABOUT WRITERS. AND I AM A WRITER. SO THIS PLEASED ME AMAZINGLY. Although I laugh and laugh and laugh at them freaking out writing a book in 4 months. You sweet summer children. I can write a book in 3 days. #ShutUpCaitNobodyWantsToHearThat Anyway I DO think it's dumb to write about yourself in books.... I mean, since when is that NOT a bad idea, Tanner. YOU IDIOT YOU HAVE TO TURN THIS INTO YOUR TEACHER. But it's still super sweet.

Apparently this book can have characters making 8784 bad decisions and I'll just be here like: "THEY'RE CUTE RAINBOW WRITER NERDS AND THEY CAN DO WHATEVER THEY WANT I'M TRASH HERE THANKS."

+ Also Sebastian is so far into the closet, that he's literally living in Narnia.
He's having tea with a fawn. It b r o k e my heart when he told he "wasn't gay" because he "wouldn't choose that". IAJUGAHIUG But this book is a journey about love and religion and accepting yourself -- and I personally think it was written beautifully. (I also believe it's #ownvoices for the bi rep.)

+ OK LET'S TALK ABOUT RELIGION AND HOW I AM SO FREAKING WORKED UP RIGHT NOW.
So this reminded me a lot of Release (which you should read immediately like 100000% best book). Tanner's family are very open and loving and support him 100% in being bisexual. Although they encourage him to remain closeted while they're living an super conservative town because they want to protect him. So I get that. But I DO think that messed with him a lot and honestly? I don't think they should've moved to a place they couldn't protect him with. That's probably a controversial opinion...like they moved for work yada ya. But your kids are important. Their mental health is important. Tanner wasn't "suffering", per se, but ya know...it's not healthy to hide yourself.

(But then if he HADN'T have moved he wouldn't have met Sebastian: AKA PUREST LOVE OF LIGHT.)

OK but Sebastian's family? They are super Mormon. So the book pretty heavily talks about Mormons and I learned a LOT I didn't know. I'm not opposed to religion in books, but I have 0% time in my world for ANY religion which is against being queer. And Sebastian's family talks about being gay the same way they'd talk about someone dying. It's so hard to read. But I also think it was SO well and respectfully written. I didn't find the book "hating" on the church or Mormons. I found it firmly talking about how there is no heckin' way God doesn't support queers (HE MADE THEM) and this was beautiful. However, it's hard and brutal to read at times and it was so so so sad. (Side note: I grew up in a very conservative church environment, not Mormon though, but it really damaged my view of the world/myself at times. And I'm sad about it, but also pleased I'm far away from it now. I related to a lot of things in the book anyway so ughuighauiq hence the rant.)

In summary: I honestly don't love how religious it was but I LOVE the conclusions it came to. And yes. It was hard to read a lot of the time. And I think a lot of queer kids would relate.

+ It also features the BEST friendship between Tanner and his BFF, Autumn!
They're...complicated. But I love boy/girl friendships and loved their development!

+ Also Tanner's family is epic.
Like I don't agree with EVERYTHING they did. But his mum slipped happy gay bumper stickers into his room all the time and they fill the house with rainbows and just ahhh. Tanner has a beautiful family.

+ ALSO IT WAS SUPER FUNNY!
I laughed so hard I ACTUALLY HAD TO PUT THE BOOK DOWN. HOly hECK it was so good.

+ Speaking of "putting the book down"??? I didn't want to???
EVER????? It's 400+ pages and i've been dying trying to read 300 page books lately. BUT THIS? I COULDN'T STOP READING. I DIDN'T WANT TO. MY HEART ACHED WHENEVER I HAD TO PUT IT DOWN. It was relatable and emotional and captivating.

+ I honestly think this book is full of heart.
My dead heart actually beat. Twice. I can't even. There is writing and school and kissing and biscuit crumbs. There is stargazing and boys crying. There is beautifulness and heartbreak and bittersweet moments and an ending that EXPLODED mY HEART. I still prefer not to read religious books but I still loved it. I am a tangled Gregorian knot. Excuse me. I must fly away now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Autoboyography.

Quotes C.G. Liked

Christina Lauren
“His smile ruins me.”
Christina Lauren, Autoboyography

Christina Lauren
“But this is your life, and it will stretch out before you, and you are the only person who can make it whatever you want it to be.”
Christina Lauren, Autoboyography

July 9, 2017 – Shelved
July 9, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
October 10, 2017 – Started Reading
October 10, 2017 –
page 90
22.11% "This is ADORABLE but I'm dying because the ink on tons of pages is smeared?????? What did I do to deserve this???😥😥😥"
October 10, 2017 –
page 299
73.46% "I DON'T KNOW WHETHER TO LAUGH OR CRY.

Both? Both is good.

*suffocated screaming in the background because stress*"
October 11, 2017 – Shelved as: 5-star
October 11, 2017 – Finished Reading
August 2, 2018 – Started Reading
August 2, 2018 –
page 74
18.18% "I AM REREADING THIS BECAUSE IT IS ONE OF MY FAVOURITES AND I NEED THESE AWKWARD CINNAMON SONS BACK IN MY LIFE."
August 3, 2018 –
page 101
24.82% "Tanner: [in chapter one] Sebastian who? lmao sounds pretentious
Tanner: [in chapter two] 💞✨🌈😍💝💌🎉💘🎊SEBASTIAN 💞✨🌈😍💝💌🎉💘🎊"
August 4, 2018 –
page 169
41.52% "Tanner: It's ok this crush doesn't matter just think dude-bro thoughts
Sebastian: [breathes]
Tanner: [has to scrape jaw off the floor]"
August 5, 2018 –
page 319
78.38% "I forgot how emotional this book makes me and how much it means to me ajfdkslad. 😭💛"
August 7, 2018 – Shelved as: read-2018
August 7, 2018 – Shelved as: reread
August 7, 2018 – Finished Reading
October 17, 2018 – Shelved as: audio-books

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)

Kathy - Books & Munches Looove your review! I've seen so many people raving on it.. Now where's my money at so I can get it myself..

message 2: by Dimitri (new)

Dimitri You certainly know how to boldly proclaim enthousiasm.

Warda And now I want to read this book, especially since it reminded you of Release! LOVE that book!

C.G. Drews @Kathy: IT'S SO SO GOOD AND WORTH IT! I haven't seen nearly enough hype for it!!

@Dimitri: thanks :)

@Warda: Omg wasn't Release so good though?!? *heart eyes*

message 5: by Riva (new) - added it

Riva  Ughhhhh I have so many pending books that I need to read based on your reviews and now I feel like I have to read this first.........

message 6: by Owen (new)

Owen R. Hey, Cait, I've been following you for a long time, your reviews are really well-written and funny!

But I just wanted to say something here. I haven't read this book, so I don't know the exact context and writing of what it says, but I wanted to bring something up.

So I'm a Mormon, and what you were saying in your review is right. We don't believe for a second that God hates his lgbt children. He made them and he loves all of his children equally. There is a verse in 2 Nephi in the Book of Mormon that says specifically that ALL are alike unto god. Gender, race, sexuality, and societal position have no bearing on God's love for his children. If any Mormons actively *hate* lgbt people, then they aren't following the doctrine correctly. We don't believe that an lgbt relationship is exactly the best for the eternal
plan, but we still love and support the lgbt members of the church and encourage them to learn and teach the gospel as much as anyone else. We know it must be extremely difficult for them, but we know that they are just facing trials in their life. Everyone must face difficult trials, which differ for every individual person, in order to return to their father in heaven.

Anyways, thanks! I just wanted to clear that up.

Kate Foley Ooh, I'm so glad this was good!!! My whole extended family is Mormon (my immediate family left Mormonism when I was young, actually because of all the harm they were doing to the gay community), so I know how difficult it is for people who are gay to be around the religion or even in it themselves. But it sounds like this handled it well!

C.G. Drews @Riva: THIS ONE FIRST.

C.G. Drews @Owen: Thanks for your input and perspective! Like I said in the review, I really don't think the book was there to hate on Mormons, but it did bring to the surface a lot of, I guess, underlying and ingrained homophobia that was there from the past? And honestly I see the same with Christians. Most Christians are loving and supportive of the lgbtqia community, but there are many who are still hateful and cruel. I guess that's true with any religion? (Coming from me who grew up conservative Baptist but isn't anymore.)

One thing they did mention in the book, which I'm not sure if it's what you believe, and wouldn't make any assumptions...this is just how some of the characters viewed it in the book: is that they'll accept lgbtqia individuals, but only so long as they don't act on it? I've heard Mormons say that, like a famous one I guess is Brandon Sanderson who I've seen quoted online as saying that. :(

message 10: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Kate: Being gay + religion has SO many dark and harmful undercurrents, especially in the past, but it's not all gone today. So I'm really glad books like this do exist. (And ones like Release come at the same thing from a Christian angle too.) I think they can really be encouraging?? Plus the ending is ajdfksald so good.

BookHugger I WANT TO READ THIS SO BADLY.

message 12: by Courtney (new) - added it

Courtney Oooo, I cannot wait to read this! I'm so glad you loved it!

message 13: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate This book broke my heart and then mended it. I loved it so much <3

message 14: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @BookHugger: All I can say is...YOU MUST!!!

@Courntey: I HOPE YOU READ IT SOON.

@Kate: omg yes exactly right?!? I felt so so broken by SO much of it and then that ending ajdfksald 😍😍😍

Sarah "Also Sebastian is so far into the closet, that he's literally living in Narnia" haha great review! I really loved this book too :) I felt the same way after reading this as I did Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda- both are just precious

message 16: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Sarah: Sebastian is SO PRECIOUS I love his journey even though I am a little b r o k e n still.

yeojin4prez I HAVE WORDS TO TALK (yesss this was a beautifully written review) 😂

message 18: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @LightwoodsAreGold: 😂😂 THANK YOU. I'm a little enthusiastic as you can probably not tell because I'M ALSO SUBTLE.

Jordan Tothill I love your review and agree so much! I literally binge read it in a day (haha, who needs to do work when you have this masterpiece?) when I borrowed it from my library and inmediately ordered my own copy when I was halfway through! I recommend this book to everyone!

message 20: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Jordan: SO much agreement!! It is absolutely amazing!

baz-you're-flammable "Sebastian is so far into the closet he's literally living in Narnia"
That is so relatable and I'm smiling so hard right now, thank you. Your reviews are always the best I can't wait to read this book! (Also YAY it's like Release!)

message 22: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Baz: Aww thanks! I really hope you love it! Definitely one of my favourites of the year, eep.

dezzy Oh my gosh haha I love this review so much! You've captured my feelings about this book in this review perfectly. <33

message 24: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Desiree: I'm so glad we're in agreement!

flootzavut This review was adorable. Like... almost as adorable as the book itself, which was a lot.

message 26: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Sarah: Aw thanks! 😂

message 27: by Ruby (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ruby I love your review, it seems so thought out and you made some good points. I loved the part when you said "Also Sebastian is so far into the closet, that he is practically in Narnia." Great review!!

message 28: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Ruby: Aww thank you! This is one of my favourite books for sure!

message 29: by Iz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Iz Wow omg I really like this review but I'm wondering why it hit you harder than it did me?? I loved all the discussions about being gay + religion, but Tanner was so horny that it made it hard to concentrate. I loved Autumn and I felt like she deserved a better friend than him.

message 30: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews Well obviously different people are going to enjoy the same book at different levels. We're not all the same. 😂

message 31: by Iz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Iz Ha true that!!!

Andrea “ My dead heart actually beat. Twice. “. You are hilarious & your review is thoughtful and spot-on. I too (just) finished this book with a goofy grin on my face.

message 33: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Zalegowski Love your review and I know you wrote this ages ago but I just finished the book today. You say you’re 89% sure the first part is what Tanner wrote for class. I’m 100% sure. That’s why the point of view shifted for the end to third person, because Tanner had finished his book and it was handed in.

I just wanted to add that I loved how Sebastian read it over and over on his book tour because it was “a love letter@.

Isla and Maya We love your review so much! Your writing style is amazing and we loving seeing your personality shine through in your reviews 💕