Ginger's Reviews > The Screaming Staircase

The Screaming Staircase by Jonathan Stroud

bookshelves: 2017

This YA spooky series was a surprise for me! I enjoyed the book more than I thought I would.
The writing was well done, the plot was complex and the scary moments were fantastic. I really enjoyed the world building that Jonathan Stroud has produced with the hauntings, how to destroy them and the type of world the characters live in because of this ghostly issue, aka "The Problem".

The Problem is the epidemic of hauntings currently affecting Britain and how only young children and teenagers can actually see the ghosts. So they are put into work at an early age to destroy the phantoms, poltergeist and other baddies.

I also enjoyed the characters of Lockwood & Co; Anthony, Lucy and George more then expected.
I had a few issues with their age in the beginning of the book but I always struggle when characters do stupid and impulsive acts. But then 1/2 way through the book, the characters become less impulsive and this worked for me. Yay!

If you like YA series, I think you will love these books and if you like spooky books, the same.
I'm super picky with YA series but this worked for me.
One other thing that I liked, no instalove or a love relationship with teenagers in this book. Woohoo!

I'm actually looking forward to reading the rest of the books in this series!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Screaming Staircase.

July 5, 2017 – Started Reading
July 5, 2017 –
6.0% "It's a great and creepy start to the book!

"
July 6, 2017 –
24.0% "There was something about it that acted as a trigger to one’s worst instincts. His face was uniquely slappable-a nun would have ached to punch him-while his backside cried out to heaven for a well-placed kick.

Ha! I've known a few in my days as well Lucy. ;)"
July 7, 2017 –
45.0% "The age of the characters seems to bug me.
I realize they are young and making stupid mistakes. But damn.....

Ya'll, I think I'm just getting old and crusty."
July 7, 2017 –
69.0% "Oh boy, here we go! In the west wing of the house, all by themselves with the Screaming Staircase and Red Room ready for victims!
😱😱"
July 9, 2017 – Shelved
July 9, 2017 – Finished Reading
February 26, 2018 – Shelved as: 2017

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)

Carol (Bookaria) This was a surprise for me too, I loved it ❤️🙌

message 2: by Orient (new) - added it

Orient Great review, Ginger :) I'm not into YA a lot, but this book sounds great :)

Emma Try the Amulet of Samarkhand if you like this author. It's even better!

ijeoma Agbaje one more person who loved Stroud's work!!! yay!!

Ginger Carol (Bookaria) wrote: "This was a surprise for me too, I loved it ❤️🙌"

Me too!!

Ginger Orient wrote: "Great review, Ginger :) I'm not into YA a lot, but this book sounds great :)"

Thanks my dear! I think you might like this series because it's spooky and the writing is great! I'm the same on YA.

Ginger Emma wrote: "Try the Amulet of Samarkhand if you like this author. It's even better!"

For sure Emma! Thanks for the suggestion!

Ginger Sade wrote: "one more person who loved Stroud's work!!! yay!!"

Yay!! I'm glad you're also a fan Sade. His writing is great!

message 9: by Orient (new) - added it

Orient Ginger wrote: "Orient wrote: "Great review, Ginger :) I'm not into YA a lot, but this book sounds great :)"

Awesome, I just needed to hear that! Adding it to my tbr ;)

Ginger Orient wrote: "Awesome, I just needed to hear that! Adding it to my tbr ;)"

Great!!

message 11: by ChopinFC (new)

ChopinFC Nice review Ginger! I'm not big on YA genre, they tend to become very mushy and I normally can't relate to characters...
Having said that, I love horror stuff, I might get into this series 😄

Ginger ChopinFC wrote: "Nice review Ginger! I'm not big on YA genre, they tend to become very mushy and I normally can't relate to characters...
Having said that, I love horror stuff, I might get into this series 😄"

I feel the exact same way Rod about YA!! So that says a lot about this series. I love horror and this was decent for a spooky series.
Looking forward to starting The Well of Ascension with you tomorrow! You ready my friend?!

message 13: by Anish (new) - added it

Anish Kohli Sounds good! Nice review too.
I might have to re-prioritize to pick up this one. :)

Ginger Anish wrote: "Sounds good! Nice review too.
I might have to re-prioritize to pick up this one. :)"

Awesome and thanks Anish!!