Jesse's Reviews > The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Black Dossier

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen by Alan Moore

Jun 17, 2007

bookshelves: graphic-novels, super-hero-villain-fiction-sci-fi, espionage-action
Recommended for: Fans of the series and victorian fiction

I really enjoyed this book until the very end. Its not to say that the end wasn't unique, it just didn't do much for me storywise.

The book has a strong beginning. We see Quartermain and Murray cross paths with Jimmy Bond. We even see the League of Extraordinary gentlemen series delve into an almost "V for Vendetta" version of England. There are adventures and WWII british agents are sent after the duo of "anarchists". we see rocket ports and are treated to alot of great information. I found it particularly interesting to read about Mina Murray's initial encounter with Captain Nemo, as well as the German and French versions of the Murray team. It was all very good fun.

This being said, this was less the 3rd Volume of the series that I wanted and more a well...Black Dossier(sp?) on the League. I guess I should have gone into it just wanting it to be that, a kind of fun version of a League of Extraordinary background book. A book of colour if you will, not necessarilly narrative. Don't get me wrong there is narrative in the book, but it is used more as a delivery medium for the factiods about the history of the League. So in this it excels, but as a narrative it fall appart at the end. That is why I must give it only 4 stars. I liked it, but I didn't love it the way I did the previous two.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

June 17, 2007 – Shelved