Jessica (Angie & Jessica's Dreamy Reads)'s Reviews > The Darkest Sunrise

The Darkest Sunrise by Aly Martinez

"Is it worth the hype?"

I've seen that question come up several times leading up to the release of The Darkest Sunrise, and as a reader who only saw glowing reviews leading up to it myself, I wondered the same. This story comes highly recommended by some seriously trusted reader friends so I counted down the days eagerly to see what on earth everyone was going crazy over. And I have to say, in my humble opinion, it's not only worth the hype, it surpassed it.

I'm not sure what hurts more... hope or the absence of it. This book is a constant war between wanting closure and denying it, between the need to move on and the heartbreak of letting go. It's an intricately woven story that is relentless in its barrage of tumultuous emotions; everything from the lush romance to the palpable grief that plagues these pages will MAKE YOU FEEL. I was consumed by this story, by the fierce attraction between Porter and Charlotte, by their respective tragedies, by their darkness and their light. I was at the edge of my seat, hoping and praying this story would go in a certain direction, turning the pages hungrily with knots in my stomach and fear in my heart. I was brought to tears at the mere thought of experiencing what these characters go through. I was made to laugh out loud at their sharp banter in those deliciously sexy moments that come at the perfect times, preventing this story from completely swallowing me up in despair. This book is meticulous in its execution, evolving painstakingly as these characters seem to fall in love while trying not to completely fall apart. And it all culminates into this exquisitely tortuous jaw dropper of an ending that has me DYING for what's to come.

This was my first Aly Martinez book and I was blown away. From the first page I was swept up in her clean, polished writing style, and the superb manner in which she weaves a storyline. This is the kind of book my dreams are made of, even despite how heart wrenching it is. Far more than a romance, this is a story of the most devastating kind of tragedy. This isn't a cliche love story laced in heartache, this is a horrific story peppered with romance. The way this story was structured, with its twists and turns and breadcrumbs of truth sprinkled throughout, with moments of humor adding a lightness to an otherwise profoundly heavy storyline, with a blissfully romantic attraction set against the backdrop of emotional carnage and horrifying circumstances, The Darkest Sunrise was an unputdownable page turner that will haunt me for days to come.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Darkest Sunrise.

July 8, 2017 – Shelved
July 8, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
July 13, 2017 – Started Reading
July 14, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Joy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joy This is a gorgeous review and absolutely spot on! I'm a huge Aly fan. Hope you get to more of her books!