C.G. Drews's Reviews > Nowhere Near You

Nowhere Near You by Leah Thomas

bookshelves: read-2017, sci-fi, ya-male-narrators, young-adult, contemporary

I admit! I wasn't sure if this was going to work for me...BUT IT SO SO DID. I wasn't the biggest fan of Because You'll Never Meet Me, because I felt it kind of smacked you in the face with "woooah this is now SCI FI! and disabilities are MAGICAL!" and I really didn't like the latter sentiment. But now that I get that it's like a soft lowkey sci-fi series (with more emphasis on the contemporary vibe) I did much better with the sequel! I adore the characters like nothing else!

BUT I WANT A THIRD BOOK. PLEASE TELL ME THERE'S MORE. THIS ENDING WAS NOT AN ENDING.

MORE MORE MORE.

L I K E S:
The characters were the most precious pieces of cinnamon toast. I caaan't even with how much I love Ollie and Moritz. They are SUCH opposites, with Ollie being that adorable little super excited puppy and Moritz being absolutely serious and cynical. And they had so much character development, it was literally the greatest pleasure to read. MY HEART IS SO FULL RIGHT NOW. It's not often I really adore or connect with characters, but these two??? Yes. YES.
There was actually a lot of tension and higher stakes. I was stressed, ok? I was super stressed. They have a fight at the beginning that made me SO ANXIOUS. Like, no, my sons, you have to get along forever and pls fall in love as a bonus.
I also really enjoyed getting to meet more of the "experiment kids". Honestly this is just feeling like an episode of Stranger Things now AND I LOVE IT. Bridget has a removable heart and Arthur has bones of chalk, and Molly had two mouths, and it's super interesting to read about them too!? I also felt really invested in their development and romances. SUPER SCORE FOR SECONDARY CHARACTER WIN.
• I have feelings. I don't know how to handle this. What.
Ollie and Moritz both somewhat broke my heart. Yes this is a good thing and I probably have problems. But they struggle a lot in this book. They lose it. They grow. They make terrible mistakes. Any time Ollie stopped smiling mY HEART BROKE.
• I am always iffy about the disability rep...but some parts of it were excellent still. Like I just can't with Moritz's blindness. I realise he's an experiment kid, but he has so many "blindness super powers" so that it just doesn't feel like a good representation of disability. However Ollie basically certainly has ADHD and I thought it was really really well done!

D I S L I K E S
Eh, I'm going to say it...I'm disappointed with the romance aspect. Moritz is a rainbow slinky and I'm not convinced whether Ollie is/isn't. But it just...I wanted more from this. I am NOT saying that friendship isn't as important or real as relationships!! It is!! I just felt the story was leading us one way but didn't fully get there?? (view spoiler)
• It did get a little boring in the middle. Alas.
• Sometimes the letters felt disjointed? Like they'd be talking to each other at the beginning of each letter, but then just dive really abruptly into their "stories". I just remember it feeling more natural and flowing in book 1. I sill love love love the letter-aspect though. 'TIS MY FAVOURITE.
ENDING WAS NOT AN ENDING. I NEED MORE DAMMIT.
I felt the plot was a bit rambly. I would've liked some more tightness? And also more direction on what they were all trying to achieve.

ALL IN ALL: nope, it is no use...i'm just going to be here breathing rapidly and loving this book. It wasn't perfect for me, but when characters stop being smol lines of type on a page and become REAL PEOPLE YOU CARE ABOUT -- that's when a book has got me. <3 Ollie's absolute bubbly personality was such a GLORY to read and every time he hurt, I honestly ached for him. Precious piece of cinnamon. And Moritz's vulnerable side was just ajfdksald and so much happened to him and I just wanted him to find happiness. And I actually liked the X-Men vibe now! I think this is a very character-driven and emotional book that was a super pleasant surprise.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nowhere Near You.

July 8, 2017 – Started Reading
July 8, 2017 – Shelved
July 8, 2017 –
page 25
6.25% ""WHEN we meet (I'm always gonna say WHEN and never if), I'll be the happiest person in the world. So if you feel scared or sad, I'll grin hard enough to even us out.
And dang it, Mo, I'll hug you first."

OMG THESE TWO.
I remember like 2% of the first book but whatever. THESE TWO. <3 <3"
July 9, 2017 –
page 223
55.75% "The level of sad precious tragic cinnamon toast boys in this book is hURTING ME."
July 10, 2017 – Shelved as: read-2017
July 10, 2017 – Shelved as: sci-fi
July 10, 2017 – Shelved as: ya-male-narrators
July 10, 2017 – Shelved as: young-adult
July 10, 2017 – Shelved as: contemporary
July 10, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Bee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bee THEY'RE SO PRECIOUS

C.G. Drews THEY ARE.

Cleo Ollie and Moritz are my ultimate OTP. I loved the duology, cried my eyes out.

Lizzie Huxley-Jones Err this is weird??? My review added as a comment to yours and now I can’t delete it *facepalm* Sorry CG

C.G. Drews @lizzie: haha that's okay I'll just delete your earlier comment.