Emily's Reviews > Furies of Calderon

Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher

Read 2 times. Last read September 8, 2018 to September 11, 2018.

*9/17 update* So I reread this, and while I still really enjoyed it, there are some aspects around sexual violence that stood out to me in ways they didn't the first time around. I'm not going to change my rating, because that feels, I don't know, dishonest or something? But while sexual violence is not brushed off, the way it was depicted still felt a bit sensationalized.

THIS WAS SO GREAT!! SUCH a fun epic fantasy! Even though this is the first book in a fantasy series, this didn't run into a lot of the problems that foundational books have. It never got too info-dumpy, I didn't feel lost or confused in the world, and it didn't feel like just a build up to a bigger story with no central conflict of its own.

Butcher introduces this world in perfect bite size pieces. He doesn't explicitly lay out the rules for you, but you still pick up on them pretty quickly!

We also get a great, self-contained conflict in this book. It's clear that there are larger things at stake, and that there's a bigger game yet to be played, but this felt like a complete book, which feels unique for the start of a series. Butcher perfectly toes the line between creating a story JUST for this book, and hinting at greater things to come.

I will say that I went into this thinking it was Middle Grade, which it DEFINITELY WAS NOT. Some of the things that happen in this book are truly horrifying. We get great, and I mean GREAT villains. There are some characters we encounter in this book that I viscerally hated.

I can't wait to pick up the next book in this series!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Furies of Calderon.

July 7, 2017 – Started Reading
page 223
July 16, 2017 – Finished Reading
September 8, 2018 – Started Reading
September 11, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Evgeny Consider this one to be a prologue. The second book is where the main plot begins to emerge.