Sean's Reviews > A Whole New Mind: Why Right-Brainers Will Rule the Future

A Whole New Mind by Daniel H. Pink

Sep 04, 2011

bookshelves: psychology, business

Like your brain, Pink's very readable book has two distinct parts (but the similarity ends there). Part one briefly introduces the different functions of the left and right brain hemispheres, and why, rather than needing to "be right-brained", we need instead to become more wholistic in drawing on both our left (linear, logical, sequential, analytical) and right (artistic, intuitive, big-picture) brains. There's a little bit of the science and he then goes on to discuss three major forces that are changing the nature of work in America:
* Abundance: the basics for life are available to nearly all (in our society, at least)
* Asia: outsourcing means somebody else can do many jobs much more cheaply
* Automation: many routine jobs can now be automated

The upshot of this analysis is that the traditional right-brained factors that have produced many of the economical successes of the 20th century are now giving way to a new set of values that Pink argues will define success in the 21st century. The second part of his book discusses these six "senses" -- design, story, symphony, empathy, play, meaning -- and how we can use them to develop a more wholistic approach to what we do. One nice feature is a collection of additional resources at the end of each chapter with more ideas for following up on each of these areas.

Pink's engaging and thought-provoking look at enlarging your approach to life should definitely be on your reading list (whether for cash or just for expanding your mind).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Whole New Mind.