Helen's Reviews > Zodiac Starforce Volume 1: By the Power of Astra

Zodiac Starforce Volume 1 by Kevin Panetta

bookshelves: competent-female-characters, diversity, fantasy, graphic-novels, cover-love, magic, monsters, reviewed, favourites

The artwork in this is absolutely stunning. The drawings, the characters, the outfits - everything is perfect! And the colours! Bright and bold and an almost dreamy mix of pinks and purples, yet it's still vibrant.

This would probably be a four-star rating just because it's so lovely to look at! Luckily the story and the dialogue lives up to the artwork. It seems very influenced by Sailor Moon. There are extras in the back and one of them is a one-page story with the characters in uniforms that look very much like the Sailor Soldiers. But it's much more modern, and a lot louder and faster paced than Sailor Moon.

I started reading thinking that this was the first volume, but there must have been one before this that explained the characters and where they got their powers. It keeps referring events that happened two years ago, where they fought a big bad and I think one of the characters lost her mother? So I did kinda feel like I was missing something, but it didn't impact on understanding the story in this volume.

The characters are well developed and easy to tell apart. They all have their own personality and their own style. My favourite is Kim! I'm also really liking Lily.

My only complaint is that I wish it were longer. I hope there's more coming soon.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zodiac Starforce Volume 1.

July 7, 2017 – Shelved