Sarah's Reviews > Two Nights

Two Nights by Kathy Reichs

I was given a copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

Like Temperance Brennan before her, Sunday Night is an extraordinary and wonderfully unconventional new crime heroine. Ex-military, ex-police, Sunday lives in survivalist isolation with a squirrell for company. Her crime solving skills are stronger than her social skills and even as we meet her adoptive father and her twin brother, Sunday’s early years experiences are only revealed in flashbacks and reflections - and we are never too sure whether we are learning more about Sunday or about the victim she is tracking.

At the start of this story, Sunday is hired by a wealthy Southern matriarch to find her missing granddaughter. As Sunday pursues the group who abducted Stella, she traverses the United States, eliminating individual members of the hate group who killed Stella’s family as her investigation progresses. The action in this story is fast and the complicated threads of this story are carefully woven. The result is an exciting read that allows readers to make guesses and predictions alongside Sunday but never to fully guess the ending.

This is a violent story and Sunday is often a violent character. She isn’t constrained by military or police regulations and something about Stella’s disappearance affects Sunday in ways she can’t explain. We often see cowboy vigilante male leads in crime fiction and I love Sunday’s cold pragmatism - she doesn’t waste any time angsting over dead terrorists.

Female protagonists like Sunday Night are often reserved for Urban Fantasy writing where female writers create alternate realities with strong and unapologetic women. This time, Sunday Night exists in a chillingly real contemporary America and the feminist inside me was doing a happy dance from start to end of this story.

I love Sunday and I’m already waiting desperately for the rest of the series and the TV spinoff… This is such a great story and I recommend it highly to crime fiction fans everywhere.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Two Nights.

Finished Reading