Mary's Reviews > Midnight Crossroad

Midnight Crossroad by Charlaine Harris

bookshelves: contemporary, own, paperback, paranormal, mystery-crime

If you haven't read the Lily Bard, Shakespeare series or the Harper Connelly series read those books first, especially the Harper Connelly series which I think is the best of the these three I'm mentioning in my review. As I read this book and met Bobo and Manfred, from the previously mentioned series respectively; I knew this was going to be a good book because I liked the mystery as much as the paranormal and knew this book would have a combination of the two.

Manfred has just moved to the town of Midnight, Texas. Midnight's a town that's barely there and is few in residents in the town proper. Manfred is there to focus on his work but becomes involved in the town's residents after a body has been found during a community picnic. Manfred finds out a bit more about them, or as much as any neighbor knows about any other neighbor in Midnight. Bobo is there escaping his past but it's catching up to him and touching the lives of the other residents. Bobo's girlfriend is the discovered body and now the questions begin - did Bobo kill his girlfriend or did one of the residents kill her, or was it some other unknown person. I was mostly surprised about the ending.

I enjoyed this book because it was more mystery than fantastical paranormal entities and in your face drama. This book was more of a (in a perfect Southern spin) "how-do", get to know the residents by solving a mystery type of way.

Don't read this book if you liked Sookie for all the personal drama and Paranormals action. Read it though if you like mysteries and enjoy a bit of paranormal. I'm sure there will be more in the other books in the series. This book did want to make me read the Harper Connolley books again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Midnight Crossroad.

July 5, 2017 – Started Reading