Carol's Reviews > Goodbye, Vitamin

Goodbye, Vitamin by Rachel Khong

liked it
bookshelves: kindle, fiction, netgalley, published-2017, 200, debut, read-2017, health

3.5 Stars.. "Just the year is all it will be."

GOODBYE, VITAMIN is a light read about a heavy subject matter......Alzheimer's.

It is about a husband/father with declining "lapses in memory....a forgotten betrayal....a special love for daughter Ruth....and the various ways family members keep him eating, involved, happy and active....some are so very touching.

It is about....and a bit heavy.... on daughter Ruth's personal life, her past and most recent relationship...the breakup... and her reconnection with an old girlfriend.

You'll also find here quite a few healthy eating tips and fun bits of trivia, BUT...honestly, what I wanted and expected was more time with dad in the storyline....like the memories with mom....like the childhood conversations with Ruth from the little red notebook....they were wonderful, but ended all too soon.

Very decent fictional debut; but (for me) the story lost focus with too much time spent away from dad. Perhaps that was the point....to show that caregivers have lives too....I'm not sure.

Many thanks to NetGalley and Henry Holt & Company for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Goodbye, Vitamin.

July 5, 2017 – Shelved
July 9, 2017 –
July 9, 2017 – Shelved as: read-2017
July 9, 2017 – Finished Reading
July 11, 2017 – Shelved as: health

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

Cindy Burnett My thoughts on this one were very similar to yours.

Carol :-). I didn't care much about Ruth's love life, but loved her interaction with her dad!

message 3: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Carol , hope your next read is a better one !

Carol Angela M wrote: "Carol , hope your next read is a better one !"

Thanks Angela.....it is!!!

message 5: by Kelli (new)

Kelli Hmmm...maybe a pass for me.

Debbie Great review! But now I'm not looking forward to reading it (and I have to because it's NG). I must remember that 3 stars can be worthy....!

Carol Debbie wrote: "Great review! But now I'm not looking forward to reading it (and I have to because it's NG). I must remember that 3 stars can be worthy....!"

Sorry Debbie.....and you're right about the 3 stars! Many 4 & 5 star reviews out there too. Hope it works better for you. :-)

Carol Kelli wrote: "Hmmm...maybe a pass for me."

So many rated it highly Kelli. It's not a bad read, but was not quite what I was expecting. :-)

message 9: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Great honest review, Carol!

Carol Deanna wrote: "Great honest review, Carol!"

Thank you Deanna! :-)

message 11: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Wonderful review, Carol. I had thought to add this novel, but something about the plucky, hipster cover convinced me I wasn't the target audience. I'm glad I held off.

message 12: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Lovely review Carol.

message 13: by Gina (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gina I am reading it now and felt somewhat the same. I usually enjoys books written as journal entries, but in this one the writing was very choppy and jumped around a lot, which I know I do when I journal personally, and I'm obviously not writing for anyone but me. But it didn't work for me here and I wanted more about Dad too.