Kimberly's Reviews > Halloween Carnival Volume 1

Halloween Carnival Volume 1 by Brian James Freeman

Aug 01, 2017

liked it
bookshelves: anthologies, netgalley, death, emotional, ghost, mystery

3.5 stars!

HALLOWEEN CARNIVAL, Volume 1, edited by Brian James Freeman is a collection of four short stories, and one novella-length piece.

Personal favorites of mine were:
#1 Favorite: "The Rage of Achilles or When Mockingbirds Sing", by Kevin Lucia. This story takes place in his fictional town of Clifton Hts. For those unfamiliar with Lucia's work, this town is one on the "border" between reality as we know it, and something....else. The residents here have come to accept that their town is unlike others, and the most bizarre occurrences are generally accepted as "common" for them. In this tale, an autistic boy with a love for small china animals, is woven into a story told to Father Ward in a confessional. To say anymore about the story itself, would be giving it away, but I will say that Lucia did a fantastic job evoking just the right emotions. This is one of those poignant tales, where the ending will haunt you long afterward.

#2 favorite: "Strange Candy", by Robert McCammon: an odd, hand-shaped piece of candy on Halloween night gives a man a visit from five spirits, who have messages that they want him to pass on to loved ones. The ending hit the perfect note as far as I was concerned.

Another one I enjoyed the concept of was Lisa Morton's "La Hacienda de los Muertos". A real life "ghost" story happening around a man only accustomed to acting out make-believe scenes in movies.

"Demon Air", by John Little, and the novella, "#MakeHallolweenSafeAgain# were not among my favorites, as the first seemed a tale that was "overdone'" , and the latter had a great premise, but lacked in execution. I found myself skimming towards the end since I had long ago figured out the murderer.

While not all stories took MY fancy, there is something for all horror lovers within these page!

Recommended!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Halloween Carnival Volume 1.

July 5, 2017 – Shelved
August 1, 2017 – Shelved as: emotional
August 1, 2017 – Shelved as: ghost
August 1, 2017 – Shelved as: mystery
August 1, 2017 – Finished Reading

Bark We favorited the same two stories :)

Kimberly Bark's Book Nonsense wrote: "We favorited the same two stories :)"

Great taste! ;)