Sarah at Sarah's Book Shelves's Reviews > Quicksand

Quicksand by Malin Persson Giolito

I “5 star adored” this Swedish “courtroom thriller” and am amazed it hasn’t gotten more buzz in the U.S. since its March release! In a nutshell, Quicksand is the movie Cruel Intentions (elite prep school, lots of money, partying, drugs, neglected high schoolers, and an intense love affair), if Sebastian (PS – Quicksand‘s main character is also named Sebastian…it’s almost too perfect!) had shot up his school and Annette had gone to trial for helping him.

The story shifts back and forth between Maja’s (Sebastian’s girlfriend and the “Annette” character in Quicksand) trial and time in jail and the lead-up to the shooting, including Maja and Sebastian’s love affair and Sebastian’s tumultuous relationship with his billionaire father.

This story is about far more than just a school shooting…it’s about friendship, family, a wealthy community, the complicated entanglement of young love, the law, and a slight bit of politics. I couldn’t put it down. If you like dark, twisty high school books, this is one of the best I’ve ever read! It’s also going on my 2017 Summer Reading Guide!

For more reviews, visit my blog: https://www.sarahsbookshelves.com/

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Quicksand.

July 5, 2017 – Started Reading
July 5, 2017 – Shelved
July 7, 2017 –
July 11, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Becky (new)

Becky Shemeley you sold me~!!! #addedtomylist

message 2: by Crumb (new) - added it

Crumb Hi Sarah.. would you call this Nordic Noir? I have to read a nordic noir book for the popsugar challenge this year.. I thought this would be perfect.