Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥'s Reviews > Drums of Autumn

Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon

bookshelves: historical-romance

The universe had shifted, with a small, decisive click; he could still hear its echo in his bones."

This was already the fourth book of the “Outlander series” and since I didn’t write reviews about the other books I just decided to type one of my “What I liked” and “What I didn’t like” reviews.

First of all I have to say that the pacing of this book was very slow! Truth be told, it was actually so slow that I was even tempted to DNF it! And that means something, because I’ve never ever DNFd a book in my entire life! Gemma is my witness! *lol* I struggled through the first 400 pages and hoped that it would get better. And oh boy, how good it turned out to be!!!! XD
All told, I don’t regret that I fought my way through the beginning, because the rest of the book definitely made up for it! ;-)

If you’ve read the book: Proceed!

If you haven’t read the book yet: Be cautious! =)

If you haven’t read the books before: Why the hell are you even reading this? ;-P

Guess that should be a fair warning! Now let’s go to the fun part!

What I liked:

- My precious boys and men!!! <333
Fergus:
He is and will forever be my precious cinnamon roll!! I loved him ever since he’s been introduced to the series and even though he’s always been a side character I’m more than just attached to him!!! Fergus is amazing and I really hope that he’ll continue to be a part of the series!
Ian:
My baby boy!! He’s been through so much and he’s still such a cheerful character!! I adore him and this book broke my heart!!! (view spoiler)
Roger:
”Feel my heart,” he said. His voice sounded thick to his own ears. “Tell me if it stops.”
Aka the cutiepie! I can’t even put into words how much I love this man and I’m so glad he’s become one of the main characters in this book! Roger is amazing and I really hope that he will be happy in the next books because he definitely deserves it!!! Do you hear me Diana? HE. DESERVES. IT!!!
Lord John Grey:
”Child, you would make an angel weep, and God knows I am no angel!"
Last but not least, Lord John! I have no words for this man. They just fail me when I try to explain how much I love, admire and adore him! Lord John Grey is everything!!! <333 He’s an angel and a saint!!! XD (view spoiler)
- That we found out more about the theory of the stones and how to travel through them!
- Jamie and Claire are still cute together!
- As always I enjoyed the historical details! Especially the interactions between the Indians and Jamie’s people!
- The humour! XD

What I didn’t like:

- Jamie! ARGH!!! He gave me all the feels but this time around it were rather negative ones!! I think he deserves the title of the worst father ever! Like seriously!!! I really like Jamie but he sucks as a father figure!! *lol* For someone who’s been through so much he really didn’t show any sympathy! (view spoiler)
- Bonnet! I hope the next time we see that man he’s actually getting what he deserves!!
- Claire! For a stubborn lass she was way too lenient with Jamie’s misbehaviour! I would have expected more of her!! She should have given him hell for how he treated other people!!! *grrr*
- Brianna! I really don’t know how I feel about her… I understand her somehow but I’m also angry at her! (view spoiler)

Well, despite all of my anger I still loved the book and cared about its awesome characters! Since this was already the fourth book some of them really grew on me and I can’t even imagine the next books without them! T_T

“Drums of autumn” left me thoroughly heartbroken and I’m most likely going to pick up “The Fiery Cross” soon! Maybe even at the beginning of the next year! ;-)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Drums of Autumn.

July 5, 2017 – Shelved
July 5, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
September 2, 2017 – Shelved as: historical-romance
October 3, 2017 – Started Reading
October 3, 2017 –
page 3
0.28% "Since this book has 1.070 pages (Diana, why?!!!) I decided to read it whenever I feel like I need something else than what I'm currently reading. I have two months to finish this so: Here I go! ;-)"
October 9, 2017 –
page 28
2.62% "Fergus will forever be my cinnamon roll in this series! 😍"
October 11, 2017 –
page 59
5.51% "Claire and Jamie are still cute together! XD But *lol* apparently I've read too much smut lately, their hot scenes actually kind of amused me... Bad Gin, you're so bad!!! >_<"
October 16, 2017 –
page 93
8.69% "If I'd be Brianna I would have been all over Roger!! That man is such a cutiepie! *lol*"
October 21, 2017 –
page 171
15.98% ""You're no serious, man?" he demanded of Fergus, incredulous. He turned to Jamie. "Uncle?"
Jamie shrugged, amused.

I love Fergus and Ian! Fergus is such a meanie!! Always shocking young Ian with his crazy stories!!! *lol* They are adorable! XD"
October 26, 2017 –
page 218
20.37% ""As they started up the brick walk, Fergus turned to Ian and bowed, mimicking the butler's courtly manner, then offered an arm in mockery. Ian kicked him neatly in the backside, and walked up the path, head turning from side to side to take in everything."

Those two! *lol* And please someone tell me this is going to pick up pace soon!! I'm snailing through this book!!! >_<"
October 30, 2017 –
page 277
25.89% "" 'Whither thou goest,' " I said, " 'I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy People shall be my People, and thy God my God: Where thou diest, will I die, and there will I be buried.' "

Ohhh my shadowhunter heart!!! <333 To stumble upon the parabatai oath in a Diana Gabaldon book!!! XD I am happy! T_T
(And yes I know it's actually from the bible!!! ;-P)"
November 1, 2017 –
page 354
33.08% ""The universe had shifted, with a small, decisive click; he could still hear ist echo in his bones."

I really like Roger and I can't help it but I think his recent actions were kind of out of character..."
November 4, 2017 –
page 458
42.8% "Oh Roger!! What are you doing!? >_<"
November 6, 2017 –
page 506
47.29% "Oh my!!! William, Jamie and John! Those three make me cry!! *sobs*"
November 6, 2017 –
page 569
53.18% "Now this is finally picking up pace! That's what I wanted!!! YASSS!!! And aww poor Ian! Almost forgot about his harsh past..."
page 667
62.34% ""He lived in a mixture of fear and anger, spiced with the hurt of betrayal, rubbed like pepper into the wounds. The same questions round and round inside his mind without answers, a snake chasing its tail."

Damn Brianna for making him feel this way!!! T_T"
page 728
68.04% ""And would you care to explain, sir, how you have sustained injury upon the right side of your face, when struck by the left fist of a man who doesn't have one?"
"Yes, crottin," Fergus said cheerfully. "Explain that one."

*LOL* Did I ever mention that Fergus is my cinnamon roll in this series? XD"
page 788
73.64% "Non! Non!! NON!!! Damnú air! Jamie Fraser you stupid brute! You numpty!!! Daingead! How could you?! ARGHAAFASHDFASDFASDF!!!"
November 8, 2017 –
page 854
79.81% "Oh no, my poor boy!!! What did they do!?!? Stay strong!!! Please!!!"
November 9, 2017 –
page 952
88.97% ""Child, you would make an angel weep, and God knows I am no angel!"

Oh god!!! Bless Lord John Grey! <333 I love this man!!!!"
November 9, 2017 –
page 981
91.68% "I'm legit crying now! T_T Daingead!!!!
Why Diana!!! Why??? Not my baby boy!!! *sobs*"
November 9, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)

message 1: by R. (new) - rated it 5 stars

R. Kitt Best of luck! I need to read book 5 and on, still!

Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥ R. wrote: "Best of luck! I need to read book 5 and on, still!"

Thank you! =) I'm glad I finally made it to book 4. *lol*

message 3: by S.N. (new)

S.N. Lemoing Great!

Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥ S.N. wrote: "Great!"

Haha! ;-)

Matt A brilliant series!!!

Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥ Matt wrote: "A brilliant series!!!"

It is! =)

message 7: by Brittney (new)

Brittney Andrews (beabookworm) I want to read this series so bad, but it's so damn intimidating =C

Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥ Brittney wrote: "I want to read this series so bad, but it's so damn intimidating =C"

I know! The books are so long and it takes ages to read them! So far it was always worth it though. Well, maybe you could read the first book and decide if you want to continue or not. I've been reading this series for 6 years now... Every two years or so I borrow the next book from the library. That way I never feel like it's going to crush me! ;-)

Lena (The Printed Girl) You never dnfed a book?! You're definitely stronger than I am! 🤣

Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥ Lena (The Printed Girl) wrote: "You never dnfed a book?! You're definitely stronger than I am! 🤣"

Haha! Yes, I never dnfed a book. I just can't do it! XD

MikMurphy the Spinecreaser I love these books, some more than others. Its been years since I've read them. Planning on rereading them after the Outlander show wraps up. Great review!
I didn't used to dnf books until I got to 45 and realized, time is short and there's other books to be read!

Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥ MikMurphy wrote: "I love these books, some more than others. Its been years since I've read them. Planning on rereading them after the Outlander show wraps up. Great review!
I didn't used to dnf books until I got to..."

Wow! You want to re-read the entire series? Jeez! That might take years! *lol* You've all my respect!!! Well, maybe I'll get to that point too! I'm just not there yet! Haha!

MikMurphy the Spinecreaser Yes, for sure it would take some time! I'm not really a fast reader either.

Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥ MikMurphy wrote: "Yes, for sure it would take some time! I'm not really a fast reader either."

I'm crossing my fingers for your re-read then! =))) I hope the second time around will be as much fun as the first time! ;-)

message 15: by Joe (new)

Joe Krakovsky "My precious cinnamon roll"? LOLOL! I get a kick out of your reviews even if I haven't read the book.

Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥ Joe wrote: ""My precious cinnamon roll"? LOLOL! I get a kick out of your reviews even if I haven't read the book."

Haha!!! Well, I'm glad my reviews amuse you!! XD If I can make you laugh my review already served its purpose! ;-P