Craig's Reviews > The Spider: City of Doom

The Spider by Norvell W. Page

Sep 03, 2011

liked it

This is another nice collection of three Spider adventure, though not as good as the previous Baen volume. I found that reading one and then coming back to read another a month or two later was a system that worked better for me than attempting to devour the entire book at one time. Nita van Sloan was the best sidekick/girl friend of all the pulps, and the stories are all very fast-paced and entertaining. I liked the Steranko art, but this volume has an introduction and afterward that don't seem to fit with anything or make much sense at all; they'd have been better served by reprinting a short story or two in the space. The weakest story is THE CITY DESTROYER (in which thousands and thousands of people are killed, so I'd guess they had continuity problems for the next issue!), THE COUNCIL OF EVIL is good but so fast-paced that the author lost track of at least one character and never mentions him again, and THE FACELESS ONE was my favorite of the lot. The Spider was definitely in the top five of pulp heroes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Spider.