C.G. Drews's Reviews > Infinity Son

Infinity Son by Adam Silvera

bookshelves: magical-fantasy, young-adult, read-2019

I have a deep love for both (a) urban fantasy books, (b) books about complicated messy brothers...so this delivered on BOTH those fronts and I'm so so glad I got a chance to read it early. I've been sort of obsessing over Infinity Son, because I freaking adore Silvera's contemporaries (History Is All You Left Me basically is one I think about all the time) so I'm really grateful I got to read an early eARC!

highlights definitely are
→ more of an emphasis on magical creatures than most fantasises I've read lately and loved this!
→ huge diverse cast (lots of POC and queer rep! f/f background couple too!)
→ Emil and Brighton are DISASTERS, somehow both co-dependant on each other and chaffing to get away from each other #siblingmood (Also hufflepuff vs slytherin vibes were STRONG and I loved how that played into how the viewed the world)
→ lots of "reluctant chosen one" vibes yesss
→ honestly, some of the twists were just super super thrilling!!

Overall, I did feel it needed more world building. It was hard to really understand the world when there seemed no rules to the magic, the history was so thin, I am still not even sure what was so scary about the villain. Also it is, unfortunately, my least favourite thing, when a team of specialised superpowered people plucks a "super magical boy" from his normal life and throws him into battle with like, 2 weeks of training. This is how u die. (Kind of feel there were only like 10 Celestials all up. So why were they a threat? I'm not even sure if there were magical people anywhere but in New York.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Infinity Son.

July 5, 2017 – Shelved
July 5, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
November 18, 2019 – Started Reading
November 18, 2019 –
page 10
2.72% "I always thought the cover was shaped in an S for Silvera and I just thought....nice, not humble, but A+ nice 😌

now I realise it's an infinity symbol. Because INFINITY SON, cAIT. KEEP up with the bASIC LEVEL CLASS."
December 1, 2019 – Shelved as: magical-fantasy
December 1, 2019 – Shelved as: young-adult
December 1, 2019 – Shelved as: read-2019
December 1, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Nora (new) - added it

Nora Grace ♌️ Does this book have any Queer Latinx characters?

rachel ☾ @nora just ducking in to yes! yes it does! two of the mcs are queer and latinx. emil is puerto rican and gay, and ness is dominican-american & mlm. there’s also mariebelle who is queer and another f/f couple too

message 3: by C.G. (new) - added it

C.G. Drews Ah thanks for answering, Rachel! Sorry I didn't see your question, Nora. 🙈

rachel ☾ sorry, i didn't mean to take over in your review space cg! just finished the book last night and was checking out your review so i thought i'd answer. gr is the literally the Worst when it comes to notifications. i swear they never actually notify you when you get comments