Ariya's Reviews > The Rats in the Walls

The Rats in the Walls by H.P. Lovecraft

bookshelves: 2017-reads

Finally, a piece of Lovecraft's writing interests me. A man lives in an ancient house haunted by the sound of nocturnal rats. The beginning story is familiar with Bram Stoker's The Judge's House I read in school, but suddenly the story hits to the darkest and most twisted part and leaves the reader get lost in the mind of a mad and cruel man.

While Bram Stoker portrays the anxiety of a man towards external fears, reflected by the xenophobia, diseases and the emergence of the middle-class and their approach to the mystery of ingrained higher class discernment, Lovecraft straights to the cruelty and selfishness of the man. The story rarely alludes to any circumstantial influences but internal dark side of human nature, which, I think, is much scarier than the supernatural force. I felt the lightning bolt when he reveals what's actually the cause of animal sounds and the house's past, not yet the story continues to deceive you with the narrative and finally leaves you with the title uttered again and again. Then, I realize I'm staring blankly at what I don't know as the Demon all along. What a charming story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rats in the Walls.

July 5, 2017 – Started Reading