Bhaskar Maji's Reviews > The Collected Stories of Amy Hempel

The Collected Stories of Amy Hempel by Amy Hempel

Amy Hempel's powerful fiction will make you cry, will make you laugh, and finally will break your heart and then send it out to dry.

Readers, she will teach you what it means to read fiction again.

Writers, beware - there is a Ramadhir Singh inside her that wants to tell you ki "Rehne do beta, tumse na ho payega..." Or as Chuck Palahniuk, the writer who introduced me to Amy Hempel's fiction says, "You will write, but you will never write this well."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Collected Stories of Amy Hempel.

Quotes Bhaskar Liked

Amy Hempel
“ I think of the chimp, the one with the talking hands.
In the course of the experiment, that chimp had a baby. Imagine how her trainers must have thrilled when the mother, without prompting, began to sign her newborn.
Baby, drink milk.
Baby, play ball.
And when the baby died, the mother stood over the body, her wrinkled hands moving with animal grace, forming again and again the words: Baby, come hug, Baby come hug, fluent now in the language of grief.”
tags: grief

Amy Hempel
“I meet a person, and in my mind I'm saying three minutes; I give you three minutes to show me the spark.”

Amy Hempel
“As soon as I knew that I would be all right, I was sure that I was dead and didn't know it. I moved through the days like a severed head that finishes a sentence. I waited for the moment that would snap me out of my seeming life.”

Amy Hempel
“We can only die in the future, I thought; right now we are always alive.”

July 4, 2017 – Started Reading