Melki's Reviews > Fight Club

Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk

bookshelves: look-at-my-balls, movie-was-better

"I want you to do me a favor. I want you to hit me as hard as you can."

By now I'm sure you've either seen the movie or read the book. You know how having the crap beaten out of you can make you feel oh, so very, very alive.

You aren't alive anywhere like you're alive at fight club.

It's the exhilaration we're all looking for, that one shining better-than-sex moment that lifts us out of our humdrum lives. It makes life more bearable, more . . . okay.

After a night in fight club, everything in the real world gets the volume turned down. Nothing can piss you off.

Even the one tiny drawback -

Since fight club, I can wiggle half the teeth in my jaw.

- really isn't that big a deal compared to how great fight club makes you feel.

My printing of this book comes with Palahniuk's introduction - an interesting read in itself, and a real eye-opener. The author was inspired to write a story based on this incident:

. . . I had a lingering black eye, a souvenir from a fist fight during my summer vacation. Nobody I worked with had even asked about it, and I figured you could do anything in your private life if it left you so bruised that no one would want to know the details.

And so he wrote a short story - seven pages long, because his writing teacher had joked that seven pages was the perfect length for a short story - which became chapter six in this book. I read chapter six again after I read the intro, and it is a work of art - seven beautiful pages. The rest of the book. . . eh, not so much. The essence, the exhilaration of fight club gets muddied, and bogged down by too many characters with too many other problems. The purity gets lost.

But, damn! READ CHAPTER SIX!

It's a great feeling.

(And you get to keep all your teeth.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fight Club.

July 4, 2017 – Started Reading
July 4, 2017 – Shelved
July 9, 2017 – Finished Reading
July 13, 2017 – Shelved as: look-at-my-balls
July 14, 2017 – Shelved as: movie-was-better

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen I actually have this to read this summer as I haven't yet!! Glad to see your 4 stars

Melki Hope you like it.

We're reading it in my Pulp Fiction group - https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/... -
if you'd like to join the discussion.