Abhi Yerra's Reviews > The Complacent Class: The Self-Defeating Quest for the American Dream

The Complacent Class by Tyler Cowen

Cowen does a good job explaining the feeling that I have been witnessing and feeling about American society for a long time which is that it is stagnant. The American dynamism that every president keeps talking about has mostly died except for a few pockets. People are addicted to pain medicine, comfort, tv, drugs, and mostly the notion of safety. He calls this group the Complacent Class. The group that doesn't want to risk, doesn't want to adapt, and is evermore immobile.

Some notes and thoughts:
- His view is somewhat akin to the long peace between the Chimeran War and World War I in Europe when the world seemed mostly stable but all of a sudden blew up into a 100 pieces.
- We have become too Complacent and technology has made people more polarized and separated. People for the left and right interact less because like the rest of society we all have a plethora of choice to find, befriend/date and interact with people only like us.
- Even with all the talk of startups the amount of new companies being formed are going way down from 30 years ago.
- Even though social segregation has gone done we are now economically segregated. Many people can't afford to live in the cities who are poorer and people no longer know how to deal with the other size.
- Even with all the discourse against the welfare state we have become as a total a welfare state where half our annual budget goes to welfare.
- America no longer take on large complicated projects as a society. There is no real call to action.
- Trump was a response of the Complacent Class.
- Society, especially globally is becoming more brittle. As Western societies call for more peace, the bad apples are testing the limits of the others. Putin pushing into Ukraine with no recourse, North Korea and its nukes, the death of Turkish democracy, etc.

Overall a good read, but some parts seemed like they were just thrown in.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Complacent Class.

July 3, 2017 – Shelved