Merrin's Reviews > A Game of Thrones

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

it was ok
bookshelves: fantasy, duds, read-in-11, zombies
Recommended for: people who like reading about rape

Unpopular opinions about books: I have them.

I only finished this out of sheer will and stubborn cussedness. I was very sure, from the moment Bran was pushed out a window, that this was not going to be a book I would like. I don't think that it was poorly written or not fully realized or sloppily executed. I think it's pretty disgusting, dark, dreary, and utterly devoid of hope and love. And you know? I look for a little more escape in my escapism.

What kills me most about this book is that Time Magazine has apparently named Martin "the American Tolkien," which is so false a comparison it makes me cry a little inside. Tolkien wrote about beauty and hope and love; his story transcended reality. Martin revels in the grime, the dirt, the pain, the humanness, and while that's not a bad thing, it is the antithesis of Tolkien.

All that said, I already own the first four in a bundle on my kindle, and sadly kindle books are not something I can return when I find out that I have zero interest in reading anything more. So I might poke at the next few, after I've read all the wiki plot summaries and ripped that off like a bandaid. Red Wedding? I am totally prepared.

Wait, I DO have a complaint about construction of the book. If there is any comparison that could be made with Tolkien, it's that they both could have benefitted from the services of a competent editor. There is so much florid prose clogging the story here that truly added nothing to the plodding (emphasis PLODDING) journey Martin took us on.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Game of Thrones.

Started Reading